some help id'ing a bass please

berto_pee

• Members

hi, i'm looking to buy my first bass and have stumbled across what the seller has labeled an Ibanez silver cadet bass. I've done a bit of research but i haven't been able to find anything on ibanez ever making a silver cadet bass.

if you guys wouldn't mind could you give me a hand id'ing this bass and whether or not it's any good, also how much you think it's worth?

01010401020701030420070602b072810fa15297

010107010204010310200706025b40e609de61df

010200010300010412200706022bb0c3d236519e

thanks alot

-albert

• Members

As far as I can tell, Ibanez did make a Z Silver Cadet. It's model number is ZTB100. They built them from 1994 to 1996. I gonna guess that it's worth $100-$150. But I'm no expert, so I could be way off.

From the Ibanez website:

I'd like to find out the value of an old Ibanez guitar no longer produced?

Ibanez only suggests list prices for our new instruments, we cannot estimate the current market value of an older instrument. We can say that as the popularity of Ibanez instruments has increased, so have the prices of our older instruments. However, Ibanez guitars have always been a good value, it

• Members

There's two Silver Cadet guitars on eBay right now, and the headstocks both read "Silver Cadet by Ibanez," so I'm guessing it was a precursor to the "GIO" beginner level of guitars.

The Ibanez TR basses of the era seem to go for $100-$150 (less for lower models [the 50] more for higher [the 500]) used on eBay, and by the look of the Silver Cadet instruments, I'd guess they're a bit lower quality and would fetch a lower price of the TR basses. I actually have a TR bass ('96 model, IIRC) that used to be my mom's that is a nice, solid beginner bass...but it's not worth much.

Hope this helps.

Dustin

• Members

hahaha i think i will be spending alot of time here! thanks alot for your help guys. I've got a few more questions for you though, the first one is kind of silly, where's the search button, i was looking for it but couldn't find it.

also which of these guitars that i'm currently considering would you recomend; Yamaha Rbx260, Epiphone eB-0, Vanatage Avenger fretless (what's fretless?), a couple of no name ones (one is a fender jazz replica), Austin AU829BK , or the ibanez?

edit: forgot to mention they're all in the same price range 100-200 canadian dollars

• Members

hahaha i think i will be spending alot of time here! thanks alot for your help guys. I've got a few more questions for you though, the first one is kind of silly, where's the search button, i was looking for it but couldn't find it.

also which of these guitars that i'm currently considering would you recomend; Yamaha Rbx260, Epiphone eB-0, Vanatage Avenger fretless (what's fretless?), a couple of no name ones (one is a fender jazz replica), or the ibanez?

edit: forgot to mention they're all in the same price range 100-200 canadian dollars

Welcome! Pull up a barstool and watch out for all the off topic stuff and beautiful avatars, such as mine. :p It all makes this place what it is--fun!

The search has been disabled due to performance problems on the forums. Hopefully they'll have it running again someday soon.

As far as the basses you listed, I'd go with the Yamaha hands down. :thu:

• Members

Fretless means there's no frets.........the neck face is smooth without the litle metal thingies which sepparate your notes. You probably don't want one of these until you played on a bass with frets for a while.

What is your budget for a new bass? What's the most you want to spend?

• Members

that's good news, the vantage's seller seemed kinda shadey haha. my budget is around 150 canadian so for a used one, uhh not as much american hahaha.

mike, would you mind telling me what makes the yamaha better/more preferable than the others?

thanks alot, and i love how responsive this forum is!

• Members

mike, would you mind telling me what makes the yamaha better/more preferable than the others?

Just my experience. Yamaha consistently churns out well made lower priced basses. They sound decent and play well. My first bass was a Yamaha RBX200 that I still have to this day and enjoy playing.

• Members

A sub-$200 Ibanez that lasts longer than 2 years without needing an electronics or setup overhaul is rare, especially nowadays.

Of the group you were looking at: Prob the Yammy would be good. The Epiphone wouldn't necessarily be bad, but its tone is very distinct, and IMO, not ideal for a beginner who will most likely spend his/her first few months/years playing other band's songs. The Vantage, being fretless, will just confuse you. You have to have a good feel for bass necks and a good sense of intonation (playing in tune with others) before that will be worthwhile. The other clones are a dime a dozen. Some, like Austin, and Tradition, make great beginner basses, and will usually hold up to more abuse than comparably priced Squiers (Fenders bargain basement line). You might see what those are running in your neck of the woods.

Welcome!

• Members

well guys i think i'm going to get the autstin au829, thanks alot for all your help!

for now though, i've got jest a few more questions first one for now though; bass and guitar, are thier ams different? and can i use a guitar amp for bass?

Archived