Thunderbroom

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Local attorney acquitted on federal income tax charges

Cryer stopped filing income taxes more than 10 years ago

Full story...

I'm already set to get the transcript. My dad met him last weekend.

He's a smart mofo, I'll tell you that much.

Plus his attorney team is about as high-profile as you can get in the tax law arena.

Props to Tom. Big ones! :thu:

• Members

That is interesting in light of
this.

I've been following the Brown's for a while. It was a smart thing to do to bring national attention to it.

Hard to paint a picture of "religious fanatics" when everyone has been keeping up with it to this point and use that as a reason to burn their house down around them. ;)

• Members

Whole other can 'o worms, but everyone should find out what taxes they allegedly "owe" in the first place, just like Tom and thousands of others!
:thu:

hey RSB...seriously...wanna do my taxes? I've still not done them for last year. (Filed extension)

• Members

Sure, you can stop whenever you want. Not sure you'll like the consequences.

Actually Tom's was won on a "Willful Failure To File". 2 counts to be specific.

I don't recommend this route as it draws the most attention, as there's easier and better ways to do your tax return correctly.

Ex IRS Special Agent Joe Bannister was the same situation.

• Members

hey RSB...seriously...wanna do my taxes? I've still not done them for last year. (Filed extension)

Sure thing. We can do them "correctly" according to your specific situation, or the "normal" way, which is how you've been taught your whole life. :)

• Members

I'd like the consequences if they were like the ones in this case. Can anybody explain what the deal is for money moron's like me?

Exactly. "Determination" and "classification" of "income" (which is not an IRC defined term, btw) cases are much different than "W.F.T.F." and easier to argue/pursue than Tom's.

But as shown in this case and others, W.F.T.F. isn't unbeatable.

• Members

Sure thing. We can do them "correctly" according to your specific situation, or the "normal" way, which is how you've been taught your whole life.
:)

I've had a CPA do my taxes since the first year I needed to file...so I really haven't been taught anything. I'm horrible with money.

• Members

Exactly. "Determination" and "classification" of "income" (which is not an IRC defined term, btw) cases are much different than "W.F.T.F." and easier to argue/pursue than Tom's.

But as shown in this case and others, W.F.T.F. isn't unbeatable.

oh...well it's clear as mud now. :D

• Members

I've had a CPA do my taxes since the first year I needed to file...so I really haven't been taught anything. I'm horrible with money.

I just mean if you're a private-sector citizen, not obtaining any type of federal privilege, your "income" (check your W2 sometime- those words that say what you "earned" aren't placed there for no particular reason, they're all defined IRC terms that have rules and limitations applied to such), the IRC doesn't even apply to you, nor was it written nor implied to you in 1862 when it was passed.

• Members

I just mean if you're a private-sector citizen, not obtaining any type of federal privilege, your "income" (check your W2 sometime- those words that say what you "earned" aren't placed there for no particular reason, they're all defined IRC terms that have rules and limitations applied to such), the IRC doesn't even apply to you, nor was it written nor implied to you in 1862 when it was passed.

so do most of your clients opt for normal or correct?

• Members

so do most of your clients opt for normal or correct?

Well the firm I work for does a lot of normal ones. Most of them, actually.

However, this stuff has only been public in the last 5-10 years, when you think about it, but people are learning more every day.

However I and others assist (often) people who wish to do their returns "correctly" and rebut incorrect W2 and 1099 forms that testify against them and what they truly earned.

• Members

Well the firm I work for does a lot of normal ones. Most of them, actually.

However, this stuff has only been public in the last 5-10 years, when you think about it, but people are learning more every day.

However I and others assist (often) people who wish to do their returns "correctly" and rebut incorrect W2 and 1099 forms that testify against them and what they truly earned.

And what happens to the people who've been doing it "correctly"?

• Members

And what happens to the people who've been doing it "correctly"?

Been getting all of their monies withheld back, just as they should.

"Withholding", "Social Security tax" and "Medicare tax" are all classified as "withholding taxes", should any tax liability arise.

When you have none, you are to be refunded them in full. Just like you would on a regular return to get your "tax refund".

However, Step 1 is determining your Form 1040, Line 7 "wages, salaries, tips" reported on your W2. Again, those are all 3 IRC (Internal Revenue Code) defined terms and apply and limit accordingly. If you don't really "make" any of those 3, then you do not report them as such. However, your W2 tells the IRS you made it, so they expect you to tell them.

Trick is-

1. Determining if you really make what your W2/1099 says you do

2. How much applies?

http://www.losthorizons.com/

Great place to start. I'll even send you the book.

Here's one for "employment taxes"-

http://www.originalintent.org/edu/empltax.php

I did a report on "employment taxes" for Accounting Communication.

Got an A+. ;) And got to teach my prof something too.

• Members

RSB...do you file your personal return "correctly" or "normal"?

Actually to be honest I've not had evidence turned in against me in some years now, so there has been none to combat.

My younger bro did though last year after he found out how much of his money is stolen every pay period.

• Members

Actually to be honest I've not had evidence turned in against me in some years now, so there has been none to combat.

My younger bro did though last year after he found out how much of his money is stolen every pay period.

evidence against you? :confused:

Archived