Thinking of changing cabinet, input please

HumptyThumpty

• Members

I've been playing the following rig and have been happy with the sound:

BBE BMAX Preamp

QSCPLX 1202

SWR Goliath III 4x10 8 Ohm bridged mono

But, I'm very sick of hauling the 80+LBS cabinet. We don't play that loud and on many of our gigs I could probably get by with a 2x10.

Here is what I'm thinking of moving to:

With with these cabs I don't have to have any help hauling my cab I just make two trips. Also I can run one cab in each channel of the QSC and control the volumes separately.

So what do you think? Can anyone comment on what kind of sound changes I'm looking at?

Thanks

• Members

I use a Avatar neo 212/210 config. Well, actually the 210 hasn't left the house in forever -- the 212 has been enough on its own for almost everything that I've done. And, as far as what you can expect tonally, they probably won't be as punchy or as articulate as what you have now but they do provide a really good mix of detail and warmth. Not the greatest cab but they're what I'm using now. They're light enough and sound good enough to rank them pretty darn high in my book.

• Members

I use a Avatar neo 212/210 config. Well, actually the 210 hasn't left the house in forever -- the 212 has been enough on its own for almost everything that I've done. And, as far as what you can expect tonally, they probably won't be as punchy or as articulate as what you have now but they do provide a really good mix of detail and warmth. Not the greatest cab but they're what I'm using now. They're light enough and sound good enough to rank them pretty darn high in my book.

Thanks Emprov. I'd hate to lose any punch and articulation.

• Members

I couldn't imagine the Avatars sounding nearly as good as a Goliath III.

Thanks, I was afraid of that, I don't what to move backwards in tone.

So probably I'll have to either keep lugging this cab or spend some real money. When you get up in the dollars it's best to just by one cab that does it all. Some of the ones that are not too heavy that seem to be liked are the following, any thoughts on these?

Genz-Benz NeoX 212T $760 - I know everyone here loves these but what is it about it? Can you get a punchy articulate, yet warm sound? (subjective talk is hard to use here) Can you describe how it sounds to you and why you like it? It's still kinda Heavy at 67LBS.

Accugroove Tri210L $1080 57LBS People must like 'em cause they are EXPENSIVE and they buy them anyway.

Schroeder 1210 Light $819 40LBS The lightest of the bunch. I don't know how these sound but they are reported to be very loud. And even though it's easy to carry, it's almost too small and I'd feel like my rig is a 'mini-me' version of a real rig, sitting down just 16" high. I think it would be too weird to have to get down that far to tweak my amp.

The Accugroove seems like it would fit the bill but I don't know if I want to spend that much.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

• Members

I have an Epifani UL2-310 : 47 pounds that feel like a lot less. Full range and sounds great. The highs are very sweet, not harsh at all. MF sells them at 999$ but ask for a quote anywhere else and you should get it for 899$.

I can lift it easily with one arm. Man, that changed my life:lol:

• Members

I have an Epifani UL2-310 : 47 pounds that feel like a lot less. Full range and sounds great. The highs are very sweet, not harsh at all. MF sells them at 999$ but ask for a quote anywhere else and you should get it for 899$.

I can lift it easily with one arm. Man, that changed my life:lol:

THAT sounds good. Thanks, I'll check that out, I hadn't thought of it.

• Members

The Genz 212 Neox is the second best cab I've ever heard, if not the best. the Orange 15 had an Orange head running through it, so it's hard to say if that's a fair comparison to the GBE750.

Since you already have quality gear I'd suggest checking out Dr. Bass :)

Archived