Any contractors out there? Interested in garages

bassman1956

• Members

I'm scouting around for houses, thinking of maybe moving. One of the things that comes up is that I need a garage, period. Some houses don't have them. Between my shop equipment and a boat, I'm looking for at least a larger 2-1/2 car if there's no basement, and a large 2-car if there is. If I see a house without a garage, how can I come up with a kind of estimate to build one?

I know room additions in the area run $50 to $100 per square foot, depending on type of room (bedroom vs kitchen) and what level of trim. How about a garage built, with floor, electric, insulation?

Western Chicago area, so I know rates are a lot more than say the hills of Tennessee, but less than Manhattan.

• Members

More then you think it would be.

Without having to do too much actual figuring I'd say you could expect (for a 2.5 car garage) roughly $2500 in framing lumber, $1500 for roofing material, $1000-1500 for siding, $1000 or so for drywall, about that as well for a good insulation job. If you have to pour a concrete pad that'll add another couple of grand at least. For basic wiring you're looking at about $2000. Windows and doors add to that as well. As does having people do the work for you.

The last garage I built was a one car, wired, insulated, heated and drywalled. Took two of us somewhere between 3-4 weeks to build and cost about $12,000. And that was done kinda on the cheap. These prices are also in BC, so you material and labor costs may vary. Honestly, the biggest bitch of doing it was getting the concrete truck into the lot to do the pour (8-10 yards of concrete) and getting the floor nice and level and even.

It will really depend on who you get to build it and what discounts they can get from local suppliers and what the material rates are in your area. For example, plywood 4x8 sheets can run anywhere from $40-90 a sheet, depending on where you live.

The best way to find out is to call a couple of local contractors, tell them what you're looking for and get a rough quotes from them.

• Members

On the topic of poured concrete, I've found that it is definately worth paying to add that stuff that makes it set slower. Only cost a little extra but it gives you a few more hours to mess around with it and get it nice and level.

Also make sure your shuttering (if not just pouring straight into a hole in the ground) is really up to the job, or it'll split apart under the pressure, at the worst possible moment :mad:

• Members

I have a very good friend who is an architech who specializes in garage plans. Contact Jay Behm at behmdesign.com. He can help you and has a hundred designs all approved for anywhere in the USA.

• Members

Thanks folks!

I've since found on line a site about garages that says good range for estimates is $35 to $45 per square foot, contractor-built.

I probably wouldn't build it myself, as the timeline would be too tight. I'd probably go to a company that specializes in garages, and get a stock plan.

Archived