Question

Sonic1

• Members

I am a new bass plyer/learner and am wondering if any of you have an answer to an acoustic bass issue. Is there any way to reduce the slide noise when changing frets/notes? Thanks.

Somehow I wandered into the "anything goes" forum and got everything from there is nothing that can be done, to rub astroglide on the strings. Is slide noise unavoidable?

• Moderators

Technique & Practice

It'll always be there, but as your technique develops, you'll not notice it as much...

However unsatisfying it may be at the moment, this is the best answer. (No offense Funkee One!)

As you gain control of the instrument you will improve your ability to manipulate the smaller details, fret noise, string noise, etc. as well as the major details like dynamics, accents, tone, etc. None of this comes overnight and there is no good shortcut. Learning to control the noise, rather than taking steps to mask it, will give you one more aspect of bass playing to "master."

• Members

Well, I appriciate all of your thoughts. You all seem very knowledgable. I think that your collective answer is; practice playing without callous-dragging at a slower tempo, then speed up as gain technoque. And flat wound strings help.

Patience. AHHHHHHHHHH!!!

• Members

And flat wound strings help.

Patience. AHHHHHHHHHH!!!

You may not like their tone or feel...I know that I don't. They are pretty cool, but not bright enough for me. Going from a roundwound string, they feel VERY weird too! Try em' out and see if you like them...

Archived