need replacement for bass dirt

mark7171

• Members

im using a HD-2 guyatone for distorion when i need it on the bass. its a g/k rb700 amp. should i go back to the LBM ? i need to replace it. what do you use?

the EHX little big muff is nice and will be nicely evened with the BBE opto last in the chain.

• Members

i use the harmonic distortion in the hd-2 circiut. harmonic distortion is awesome for bass in measured ammounts. the hd2 is a low level fuzz before it gets to hairy. it will make a fuzz. the lbm will do harmonic distorion at lower fuzz level. i tried the guyatone TZ-2 it wasnt that great either. i dont dime out the dirt on either types. what do you recommend for fuzz and distortion. my chain has a TB tuner, a ehx bassballs, then a TB dirt, and BBE opt padded stomp. then the amp which has a boost and awesome chorus.

the HD-2 will give will the soundgarden mailman sound.

• Members

i use the harmonic distortion in the hd-2 circiut. harmonic distortion is awesome for bass in measured ammounts. the hd2 is a low level fuzz before it gets to hairy. it will make a fuzz. the lbm will do harmonic distorion at lower fuzz level. i tried the guyatone TZ-2 it wasnt that great either. i dont dime out the dirt on either types. what do you recommend for fuzz and distortion. my chain has a TB tuner, a ehx bassballs, then a TB dirt, and BBE opt padded stomp. then the amp which has a boost and awesome chorus.

the HD-2 will give will the soundgarden mailman sound.

For Fuzz, I really like MI Audio's Neo Fuzz. It responds well to different basses and doesn't mind active ones either. It's nothing like a Big Muff, which is creamy and has a bit of a mid scoop. It's very square waved but not harsh.

For distortions, you have quite a bit of a selection as it breaks down into a little more groups then fuzzes, in my opinion. The most common type of distortion is based on the Tube Screamer circuit. I find, and so do others, there's a bit of a mid hump in them that essentially creates their signature sound. if you want something like that you can go for the Fulltone Bassdriver or even a modded Tube screamer with the caps changed for more bass. Analog man (www.analogman.com) has a whole page on this. There are other pedals, like that Boss puts out (and one I own, the Boss SD-1 modded for more bass) that has a different sound compared to that of the TS. You're not limited entirely on what's "bass only" as many distortion pedals are easy to change a few caps and you'd have a perfectly suitable bass distortion. Some, however, change the way they sound (like in a Rat distortion pedal, it removes the key sound)

Ok, it's 5am here and i'm about to pass out (and rambling almost incoherently) but it's enough to think about.

• Members

Ever heard of the Hughes & Kettner Warp factor?

It's a guitar pedal designed for very heavy distortion, but it works fantastically for bass.

To get a usable sound you have to set the distortion to about 1 and level to about 8 or 9, but it seem to almost entirely preserve the low end.

Even better, the thing also comes with a sub switch, which actually adds even more bass, somtimes too much. :thu: It's now my favourite distortion pedal, and no other bass players seem to know about it. Hell, I wouldn't know about it unless a metal bass player I was recording showed me how good it is.

Archived