Fret buzz with aggressive picking...Normal?

Noise...

• Members

I'm still a new bass player, so this may be a stupid question, but when I pick really aggressively I get some noticeable fret buzz on my Jazz Bass. Is this normal for a bass? When I pick softly, or even normally there's no fret buzz, but as soon as I start picking a bit harder I get a good amount of buzz.

Is it a setup issue, or just how it is with the big bass strings?

If it matters at all, I play with a Dunlop Tortex 1.14 pick...is that an issue that could cause this?

• Members

Really aggressive playing will get you some fret buzz.

You can raise the strings to the point of no fret buzz, but that may be too high.

Have you followed Fender's setup recommendations? fender.com has them

You can ease up a bit, turn up the amp, and let the amp do more work.

• Members

Ah...good to know that my setup is sound. :D

I didn't know if it was just because I'm not an expert guitar tech yet, or if it was normal...

I did raise the action a bit higher than necessary. I'm going to go check the Fender site, as well as go over Kindness' setup thread again just to make sure I've got everything set right.

Thanks for the replies. :thu:

• Moderators

The harder you play, the more buzz you get. The only time it is a setup issue is if you are getting more buzzing than you want (raise the strings) or the buzzing is localized and not consistent across the neck (adjust the truss rod or take care of unlevel fretwork).

• Members

set the bow for your heavy picking...and you may find your fretting hand getting a bit tired

you may still get buzz on the non bow section of the neck..so up the action...

eventually you will have a gap like an urb

stiffer strings...hex cores and larger gauges could be a solution...

• Members

Eh..I just went down and played for a bit just playing with normal picking and it sounded perfect. No buzzing anywhere, good string height (not too high, not too low) and a good balance.

I think my setup work is done on this bass now. :thu:

Thanks for the help everyone!

Archived