Synth fuzz

cwatson

• Members

ah...no. The times I've plugged into a boss synth pedal, I've wanted to claw my eyes out in frustration and pain. I wouldn't waste your money on them

Don't hold me to this either, but I think somewhere in Chris Wolstenholme's lineup there is an Akai Deep Impact (discontinued and highly sought after on the used market/ebay) and some sort of Big Muff....but thats all I know, I've been searching for gear listings but haven't had much luck in finding any. I tend to get close to a tone like hysteria by layering effects such as distortion with a flanger and/or chorus. But by no means are they perfect.

Try finding a live clip of hysteria, it'll give you a better idea of what to try and sound like. In a studio they can do all sorts of things to his signal that you wont be able to replicate

• Members

Chris's live pedalboard includes the Akai Deep impact and russian big muff mentioned above, and also an animato bass distortion, digitech synth wah, boss Delay and a few other odd and sods.

Whilst not Hysteria, the synth sound on the song 'time is running out' was achieved by blending a bass track with a roland synthesizer. Chris mentioned in an interview that live he plays his bass over a synth backing track. It's possible he does something similar for hysteria.

Other than that, try and track down a deep impact. Good luck! :thu:

Archived