Kinda-OT?: What scale is this!?

Hunter6

• Members

Okay, so I figured out some scale from a cool chord progression I've been messing around with. And it goes a little like this.

C, D, Eb, F, G, A#, B, C

And for the life of me, I can't figure out WHAT scale that is, but it sounds cool to me!

So, any of you theory nerds on here wanna help me figure out what this is?

• Members

Its almost the Aeolian mode of the major scale otherwise know as a blues scale or natural minor.

In scale form you cant use #'s and b's together, so your scale would be:

C, D, Eb, F, G, Bb, B, C

See if a true Aeolian would fit C, D, Eb, F, G, Gb, Bb, C

Ah, I was always taught that it should go by letters, ABCDEFGA, etc. etc.

But yeah.

That Aeolian scale doesn't fit, though.

The progression was Cm, G, Gm, Fsus4.

So, after fleshing out the chords, that's the scale I was left with.

So far all I can see is that it's the melodic minor scale with a raised sixth, but I don't know what that makes it...

EDIT: One Bad Monkey beat me to the melodic minor thing. Yeah, that's probably the best I'm gonna get.

• Members

Ah, I was always taught that it should go by letters, ABCDEFGA, etc. etc.

Oh...i see you learned only that a mode is contained in a scale...in your thinking, the scale of C. The modes should be thought of as scales themselves...with a pattern for each, that way they're transferable to the whole fingerboard without much thought...because you know the pattern(s).

That C aeolian would come from a Eb scale which is still contained in your original scale.

• Members

Oh...i see you learned only that a mode is contained in a scale...in your thinking, the scale of C. The modes should be thought of as scales themselves...with a pattern for each, that way they're transferable to the whole fingerboard without much thought...because you know the pattern(s).

That C aeolian would come from a Eb scale which is still contained in your original scale.

Nonono, you misunderstood me.

I was referring to your "you can't use sharps and flats together" statement.

I was saying that I was taught to, instead of saying Bb, then B, to say A#, then B so that it goes by letter rather than only being flats or sharps.

• Members

a scale with sharp accidentals will have them in a sharp key..double if necessary

in a flat key accidentals are denoted by flats..double if necessary

the scale you mentioned...

C D E F G A B...for Cmajor

C D Eb F G Ab B C for Cminor going up

C Bb Ab G F Eb D C coming down

your example C, D, Eb, F, G, A#(Bb), B, C

lies nicely on the fretboard in a 3 fret rising mode with the last 3 notes being all three frets played

i dont know much theory but its a cool riff and i will put it to some use...

the last 3 notes are a sort of turnaround..

• Members

It's a C blues scale that has a flat 7 and a natural 7. This structure isn't really found in any academic or non-academic teaching I've seen. More realistically, it's a series of notes that happen to sound OK over a certain composition.

A theory teacher would take points off for using sharps and flats in the same scale.

• Members

It's a C blues scale that has a flat 7 and a natural 7. This structure isn't really found in any academic or non-academic teaching I've seen. More realistically, it's a series of notes that happen to sound OK over a certain composition.

A theory teacher would take points off for using sharps and flats in the same scale.

:thu:

i am going to groove that tonight...you can jump all over the place and come back to it no problem...its a 'catholic' scale..:wave:

• Members

funny.gif

whaaaaaaaaaathefffffffffffff

Catholic is an adjective derived from the Greek adjective ?????????, meaning "general; universal" (cf. Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon).

not a sectarian comment...as you already knew:thu:

really though its the sort i like to throw in a song if i am going up an octave..

• Members

that is why I said hunter6 devised his own scale because it is not a known scale.

C blues scale is: C-Eb-F-F#-G-Bb

C minor Blues scale is: C-Eb-F-Gb-G-Bb

lucky for hunter6 he is not being graded here.:cool:

• Moderators

...you can jump all over the place and come back to it no problem...

I was raised Catholic too (capital C on that one) and this made me crack up - I was taught there wasn't anything I could do that could prevent me from coming back to God's graces by asking for forgiveness. I had never thought of a scale as being as forgiving. I think it really improves my thought process around music theory to expand my perception in that way.

• Members

I was raised Catholic too (capital C on that one) and this made me crack up - I was taught there wasn't anything I could do that could prevent me from coming back to God's graces by asking for forgiveness. I had never thought of a scale as being as forgiving.

For sake of disclosure, I am no longer associated in any way with Catholicism.

i think you were a roman catholic..never mind capitals..like rome..etc

the thing is you have god's forgiveness anyway no matter who you 'think' you are...just get alongside the lord..which you have done..

shake his hand and say sorry..

its easy and smart

i am a protestant by birth but mix freely in rc and prod circles being in an evangelical church...we keep our eyes fixed on the cross...not history

enough...:wave::wave:

• Members

Agreed and thanks for the impression.

:cool:

i am slogging my way through the ode to joy theme from beethovens 9th chorale..pretty simple chord progression in this arrangement and i feel i want to drop that loopy scale in somewhere but the key is Gmaj

• Members

:cool:

i am slogging my way through the ode to joy theme from beethovens 9th chorale..pretty simple chord progression in this arrangement and i feel i want to drop that loopy scale in somewhere but the key is Gmaj

Oddly enough I came about this trying to write something for 2 violins, viola, and a cello...

How ironic...

But cool, I came up with my own scale!

And I'll remember that you're only allowed to use flats or sharps

• Members

Oddly enough I came about this trying to write something for 2 violins, viola, and a cello...

How ironic...

But cool, I came up with my own scale!

And I'll remember that you're only allowed to use flats or sharps

:cool::wave:

you can use ## and bb for the violins..they like those type of constraints

see you later..off to bed now.

cheers all.

• Members

I'm a recovering alcoholic and a recovering Roman Catholic. Truth be told, it's easier to beat alcohol.

I'm back to church in a very serious way, but in a more non-denominational fashion. I'm under the impression that I prefer a more "Protestant" sort of approach. If I have my Roman Catholic dogma correct, it's probably worse for me to attend a Protestant service than it is to attend a Satanic "Black Mass".

Archived