For Kindness and other electronics folks: guts of a Series I

82Daion

• Members

I figured that some of you might like to see the guts of the Series I, so here they are.

The full cavity:

elex.jpg

The pickups aren't hooked up in this pic-the three wires loose from the circuit board handle that. We'll get to those later. The PCB attached to the control cover is the preamp card.

cavity.jpg

The two pots at the top of the pic are the volume controls. The two double pots control the filters. The two green squares with attached resistors between the pots are the Q-switches. The stereo jack (for battery operation) and 5-pin jack are at the bottom and top right, respectively.

pretop.jpg

The underside of the preamp card.

preic.jpg

The top of the preamp card, showing the IC's and the trimpots that adjust the output of the bass and adjust the humcancelling circuit.

puconx.jpg

Finally, the pickup connectors. These are miniature coaxial cables, which are a characteristic feature of these early Alembics-they use Molex connectors nowadays.

25015.jpg

The connectors look like this.

Now, the power supply:

9-4-07089.jpg

Pretty straightforward-you plug the 5-pin cable from the bass into the appropriate jack, and then can use the bass/mono output for normal rigs, or send an out from the treble jack to run things in stereo.

9-4-07087.jpg

The guts. Hard to believe Alembic charges $600 for a new one. :eek:

• Members

Alembic= Best customer service ever, most amazing preamp (the Q knob is sick as hell), horribly overpriced. If you can find an older one for cheap jump on it.
The newer ones have had some wood issues.
I had a spoiler for a while..great bass...awesome preamp.

Dan

:confused:

I agree on the horribly overpriced bit, but I haven't heard about any wood issues.

As for your advice, that's exactly what I did. :D

• Members

:confused:

I agree on the horribly overpriced bit, but I haven't heard about any wood issues.

As for your advice, that's exactly what I did.
:D

Yeah from what I gather they don't always let their wood sit and stabilize enough. They are a small production company so you don't hear a whole lot about it but they have had some neck twist issues..this is why I say an older one preferable 10 or so years. But damned if they don't have something with the preamp and like I said, their customer service is the best I've experienced.

Dan

• Members

Yeah from what I gather they don't always let their wood sit and stabilize enough. They are a small production company so you don't hear a whole lot about it but they have had some neck twist issues..this is why I say an older one preferable 10 or so years. But damned if they don't have something with the preamp and like I said, their customer service is the best I've experienced.

Dan

Their customer service is awesome. What other company still supports the instruments they made 30 years ago? :thu:

I've heard of some stability issues with some Dragon Wing models, but nothing regarding warping-the necks in that case just seem to want to move more due to climate change, but that may be exacerbated by the extreme setup preferences of their owners.

From what I gather, Alembic does not use inferior wood in its instruments, and has offered to correct (for free) all issues in the above cases.

• Members

With the color coordinated connectors it would be hard to mess anything up.

And I didn't. :D

I forgot to add that the small rectangular plate on the back covers the battery compartment, and that the electronics cavity is not routed-the body wings are in fact hollow. :cool:

Archived