OT: Betrayed By the Pats

• Members

so, seems its all true...

i have been a pats fan since i was just a tiny kid, i remember looking at the bumper sticker on a neighbors car in about 1973 the first time i saw the old pats logo...

now, i must say...{censored} them...

in my mind this puts an asterisk next to the entire Belichik era, if not the Kraft era....

for a team i admired as much for their dignity and sportsmanship as their onfield prowess, this is a massive blow...

i'll post a pic of my pats gear burning when it happens...

what do the other pats fans think?

• Members

Massive blow? Discounts the entire era? Get a grip...

This is like stealing signs in baseball. A bit scuzzy but nothing major.

It wasn't knowing some signals that turned former "Clubhouse Cancers" into "model team players". It wasn't knowing some signals that made Belichick draft the players he did, make the personnel moves he did, etc.

To say this ends a lifetime of being a fan? Not much of a fan...

• Members

it's a tempest in a teapot.

if they're stealing signals in real time (and i would wager that all teams are) it's someone on the sideline watching the Jets sideline. the Jets know they're being watched and are probably changing up the signals all the time, or having someone on the field call the specific defense.

meh, they all do it in one form or another. the NFL just doesn't want filming for advance scouting purposes.

• Members

huge fan....

the point is that in baseball stealing signs is legal...in football it kind of is too...you can watch and guess and strategize..but you cant do this..

any form of cheating is only cheating because people decide it is...

how do i know that the wins over the last few years werent from cheating?

its the joy of the final payoff that the last few years represented after decades of mediocrity that makes this so bad...

• Members

Massive blow? Discounts the entire era? Get a grip...

This is like stealing signs in baseball. A bit scuzzy but nothing major.

It wasn't knowing some signals that turned former "Clubhouse Cancers" into "model team players". It wasn't knowing some signals that made Belichick draft the players he did, make the personnel moves he did, etc.

To say this ends a lifetime of being a fan? Not much of a fan...

King Kashue your avatar is amazing. I'd forgotten all about nuklearpower.

• Members

It's disappointing to hear *BUT* The pats have the chance to defend themselves to the league. Also, who knows how often this kind of thing happens? Is it commonplace and they got caught or does NOBODY do it? I just want to keep it in context.

From Charley Casserly - former Houston Texans General Manager:

The topic of discussion was intelligence gathering in the NFL, and the former Houston Texans general manager made some interesting remarks on how the Dolphins studied audio tapes of Tom Brady's calls at the line of scrimmage prior to their 21-0 win on Dec. 10, according to a transcript provided by CBS.

"What the Miami Dolphins do is this - they have a coach who studies the game tapes, the television tapes, to pick up the signals from the opposing quarterback," he said. "In fact, you can go out and buy something called network iso-tapes that people at home don't see, to get additional audio.

"There is nothing illegal about what Miami did. However, the Patriots got caught doing something early in the year they weren't supposed to be doing. They had a man on their sideline dressed in coaching attire with a video camera who was presumably videotaping the other team's signals. You can't do that. They were warned. If it happens again, they're going to be disciplined."

...regarding your querie 'does NOBODY else (do this)?'...

Casserly also shared some insight on other techniques employed by NFL teams.

"When I was on the competition committee a couple years ago, we discovered a team that was putting a microphone on a defensive lineman, the nose tackle, to get the signals from the quarterback, matched it to the game tape, and they had the audibles the next time they played them. Another one that goes on, this is what they call a parabolic mic. This picks up sound from the quarterback. What some teams do is have an extra one at the game, get the sound from the quarterback, match that to the game tape, and they've got the audibles next time they play them. Miami wasn't doing anything compared to other teams."

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2006/12/stealing_signs_.html

• Members

i know what you are saying bluescout, but part of the thing was that we were better then everybody else...or at least classier...

Ah, see that's your problem. It's not that the Pats cheated, it's that you bought into the Belichick is Magic bull{censored}...

They're a great team, he's a great coach, Brady is a great leader. That's it.

• Members

never thought he was more than a great coach...the thing was the team attitude, the professionalism, the picking of players for character...

the sort of the way sports should be...

if that had not been part of it, this would be nothing...

Archived