OT: Wireless Router Suggestions?

BeeTL

• Members

Personally, if I were going to get a wireless system with modern tech involved...I would go with an N-series router. They're fully backwards compatible, and all the new laptops are shipping with N-compatibility, which is awesome. Just a thought to stay current...since A/B went down the drain so fast...G isn't far behind.

7806788_ra.jpg

• Members

We tried a few G's and they didn't work with our Speedstream modem. Moved up the the N and it's been working flawlessly.

:thu:

And if you're buying this week...check Office Depot's stuff...prettttty sure all the Linksys stuff is like $20 off..........just a thought...

disclaimer: Pricing is true in store...the website varies and I can't get it to load at home...photobucket and all Office Depot/related sites are down. If you ARE buying this week, this is what I would get personally. Linksys Mid-grade N-series router $20 off.

• Members

Now how exactly does this wireless stuff work? I'm using someone else's wireless right now. Is it something you plug your cable modem into and breaks off some signal for wireless or what?

Dan

Basically, yes.

You have your modem, which will be for this, designated "M". You have your wireless Router, which I will designate "N" (Since I like N series stuff). Then you have a few computers, right? No? Oh well. Play along. ;)

----> is a coax cable. ----] is a network cable X with lines...is wireless from the router.

----------->M-----]N-------]C1 (desktop)

X

/

/

/

C2 C3

(laptop on wireless) (laptop on wireless, and PROBABLY your

neighbor...jerk)

and the layout thing, not cool. But you kinda understand?

• Members

I'd second the N router that Linksys has. No problems with B or G cards, and when you end up with a N card, N just smokes for file transfers. I usually see around 85 Mbit to my file server off my laptop.

If you don't have multiple computers, however, don't worry about the N speeds. Your cable modem max is around 10Mbit. A G router will cover that fine at 54Mbit.

• Members

The thing N is good for is fast LOCAL transfers (to and from PCs in your home) and a longer range if you're in a huge house. Other than that Wireless G is just fine.

I'm a big fan of Belkin stuff because it's cheap, works good and has a no-hassle LIFETIME warranty.

• Members

Belkins wireless G router is 35 bucks and as good as anything out there that cost more money. I have had one for 2 years with absolutley no problems at all:thu:

Better than everything else? Not quite. Better than other comparable products? That's at least a possibility. I disagree, but at least you're not comparing a $35 access point to an enterprise-level router.

On a personal level though, I haven't been all that happy with the belkin routers I've had to deal with, including mine.

I'd go linksys.

Archived