Oh no, another cooking thread by Psilo

Psilocybin

• Members
I think their method was a little flawed. How did they settle on 9 times?

Filtered it once...tasted no difference.

Filtered it twice...tasted no difference.

Filtered it three times...tasted no difference.

Filtered it four times...tasted no difference.

Filtered it five times...tasted no difference.

(by now they could be drinking unleaded and wouldn't know the difference)

Filtered it six times...tasted no difference.

Filtered it seven times...tasted no difference.

Filtered it eight times...tasted no difference.

Filtered it nine times...passed out dead on the floor.

:D

Most of the high-brow distillers run it through 5 or 6 times. Take that, and the fact that they were college guys who liked vodka, and you've got 9 times. Could've been that they passed out after the 9th time though, it's been a few years since I read it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Compared to a strip?

I've got "Cattle people" friends in Wyoming and Nebraska who make fun of folks who prefer the Filet mignon over everything else.

Heck, I even read an article (on a Northwest flight, I think) where the head of one of the big Chicago distributors said the same thing (he said it a bit nicer, though he likened it to eating a good steak while affected by a cold).

Filet Mignon is pork as far as I'm aware :confused:

• Members

I don't think I've ever had a bland tasting filet.

I would have to agree, When I go to McNally's. Famous steak house here. I order thier Fillet. It is the most tender & flavorful of their cuts.

When I was a butcher the ribeye was the most popular, but it was due to size over flavor.

• Members
Compared to a strip?

I've got "Cattle people" friends in Wyoming and Nebraska who make fun of folks who prefer the Filet mignon over everything else.

Heck, I even read an article (on a Northwest flight, I think) where the head of one of the big Chicago distributors said the same thing (he said it a bit nicer, though he likened it to eating a good steak while affected by a cold).

A strip is more flavorful but that doesn't make a filet bland. I just saw Albertson's has whole fliet on sale so I'll be picking up a chunk to age in the method the Ranjaman says doesn't work. :D

• Members

I've got a few friends who frequent high priced steak houses. They pretty much trash on Filet Mignon eaters too. What made it true in my mind is that my father and mother in law love Filet Mignon. They also think that Cosmopolitans are the best Martinis ever. I rest my case.

• Members
It's beef. The pork cut is called the tenderloin. There's also pork loin but filet mignon is beef.

It's a pastry, it's a laxative...Stop, you're both right. :D

In Europe, particularly in French speaking regions, Filet Mignon refers to Pork tenderloin.

In the US, the term refers to the filet cut from the Tenderloin.

Ranja, you're probably more familiar with it called chateaubriand or filet de b

• Members

Which part of the cow would you call filet mignon ?

I'm confused because I'm used to dutch or french names for meat.

It's part of the tenderloin, I believe that it can be taken off of either end. In the US, it's the same cut as a pork tenderloin, but on a different animal.

• Members
Yes, but I hadn't had a chance to rant about it yet!!!
:mad:

Ok, I'll just take my vodka out of the cupboard, my glass out of the dishwasher, (still warm, just ran it), my 10 year old sweet vermouth out of the garage, toss 'em all in a mixer (3 parts vodka to 1 part vermouth) and shake with some ice for a few minutes and pour it into my warm glass, toss in a few garlic olives and enjoy my martini while you finish your rant.

• Members

I've got a few friends who frequent high priced steak houses. They pretty much trash on Filet Mignon eaters too. What made it true in my mind is that my father and mother in law love Filet Mignon. They also think that Cosmopolitans are the best Martinis ever. I rest my case.

They probably buy cables from Lavaman, too.

Archived