Beginner Bass setup

Sambora#2

• Members

depends on how much the beginner really has to spend.

how much the beginner thinks is reasonable

and what sort of music the beginner plans to play and where.

For example, if you only have $200 to spend and planned on using stuff only in your bedroom, the recommmendations would be very different than if you had $800 and planned on giging straight away.

You get me?

• Members

OK,

Having gotten the bug for a bass, I thought I would ask the question.

What is good beginners gear, nice and reasonble on price?

:wave:

My vote goes for Ibanez. Best necks on the face of the planet, imo....especially if your used to guitar necks.

They have models ranging from the low $100s and up. Obviously, im a little biased, but the facts are that Ibanez have a very good product for a beginner with a small budget.

my .02

good luck :thu:

• Members

I recommend a Precision-type instrument like a Squire Vintage series or an SX from Rondo. Grab a 1x12 combo amp like a Peavey Max series or Roland Cube 100 and your set. Do it right and you'll have gear that you won't outgrow.

Grankor suggested to me the Squier Vintage series. He has one, and reckons it rocks.

What is your opinion on running my existing guitar head (a Marshall TSL100) throough a bass cab?? Will it work OK???

• Members

Grankor suggested to me the Squier Vintage series. He has one, and reckons it rocks.

What is your opinion on running my existing guitar head (a Marshall TSL100) throough a bass cab?? Will it work OK???

I don't recommend it.

A decent 1x12 combo is perfect because it's small and light, yet perfect size to inspire you to practice, and will be just loud enough(as well as sound good enough) to play with other people(think casual jam, worship gig, coffee house gig, etc.) Besides the Peavey Max 112 and Roland Cube100, check out Yorkville's 1x12 combo, Ampeg BA112, Nemesis 2x8 and Ashdown Perfect 10. Carvin makes a couple nice 1x12 combos as well worth looking at. Even after your ready to invest in a gig rig, you'll always need a simple practice amp, so do it right. Doing it once will $ave you in the long run as well.

Yeah, the new Squire Vintage series is pretty nice. The coolest part is how you can upgrade them as you grow on your instrument. :cool:

Archived