Second Life = bleh

davis1

• Members

This is the "next big thing" in online communities in the same way that kerosene lamps are the next big thing in efficient lighting.

Haha, so true!

Sucky graphics, sucky gameplay, laggy as hell. The concept is even worse though. If you're going to play a GAME, at least play a game which is different from just "playing out" a normal human life!

• Members

The best part of Second Life is it's promotion department...it's managed to get Second Life mentioned in programs on NPR and other TV news shows and gets it touted as the "wave of the future"....but other than it's promotion department, it's really the weakest excuse for a program.

For one, the graphics look like it was developed about 10 years ago and then abandoned...kind of a "work in progress" where no work has been done in years. Another thing is that there is a WHOLE lot of nothing there. Tons and tons and tons of abandoned buildings with no one around.

That is, when you can see the buildings. Things like houses and objects and places aren't loaded until you're right on top of them....so when you move into a new area, you have to sit for a few minutes while everything is downloaded to your computer so you can see it. I have a fast connection, but honestly, it feels like I'm on dial-up when I "play".

And that's another thing, this isn't a game really....it's just a chat-room with no one in it. We're talking it's a ghost-town. Once you're in the actual world, good luck finding people...and when you do, they're just idiots that want to have cyber-sex or ones just sitting around doing their own thing. A chat room is much more involved than this thing.

It's a waste of time, trust me on this. Actually no, don't trust me. Download it yourself and see what I mean.

• Members

You know what the "Next World of Warcraft" is?

The next expansion for World of Warcraft...:rolleyes:

Seriously, nothing is toppling WoW. Eventually it will die, but it will die because it runs out of places to go, not because something else kills it. In terms of scale, nothing comes close. The next most popular games have a few hundred thousand people on a couple dozen servers, if that...

WoW has 9 million people playing on several hundred servers. WoW has more servers in just the US with names that begin with the letter "A" than most games has servers in total :D

Archived