Jammed Fingers....

Kelemvor

• Members

When is this going to go away? I was playing football at night, and caught a ball the wrong way off my pinky finger on my left hand. I haven't been able to play my bass in 2 weeks! It's still swollen slightly, enough that I can't bend it down to touch the palm of my hand. If I hold my left hand up and try to push all 4 fingers together, my pinky sticks out a little to the side, yet I can still move it around in all directions with minimal pain. It's only when I try to push with it or bend it too far does it start to hurt.

Even putting on motorcycle gloves and trying to squeeze the clutch hurts almost too much to bear. I left my glove off and just pulled the clutch with my 3 good fingers when I went riding today. (It was a beautiful sunday here in the mountains)

Playing bass with 3 fingers on my left hand is almost impossible, I wish I would of injured the right pinky finger.

• Members

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it may be a week or two. I did this playing basketball once... to my right index finger. Right before a tour. I ended up playing a month's worth of shows with a pick, held by my thumb and middle finger.

• Members

Well, today is two weeks since the accident happened. Still too sore to play bass, I'll give it another few days and if I don't see any improvement I might get a finger splint. I think the only reason its sore is the swelling, which I'm having trouble getting rid off. It doesn't seem broken.

All the doctor would do would tell me to put a splint on it and send me a bill, so I'm going to try to wait it out.

• Members

Well, today is two weeks since the accident happened. Still too sore to play bass, I'll give it another few days and if I don't see any improvement I might get a finger splint. I think the only reason its sore is the swelling, which I'm having trouble getting rid off. It doesn't seem broken.

All the doctor would do would tell me to put a splint on it and send me a bill, so I'm going to try to wait it out.

A rule of thumb (no punn intended) is 4 weeks but 8 to get it back to complete normality. That's if you didn't tear a ligament or a tendon. Don't use it/push it and try to do things you shouldn't, it will help the healing process.

• Members

Nobody took a radiograph? Sometimes a "jammed" finger will take a while to heal, but I think I would have pressed for an x-ray exam. If you had massive swelling and if the area turned blue, that usually indicates advanced tissue damage (like a fracture).

Most fingers can heal just fine from a fracture by immobilizing the finger for a few weeks, but your's hasn't been from the stories you're telling. The pinky is hard because you use it more than you realize, and you can't just tape it to your ring finger because the size desrepancy doesn't allow the joints to work right. If you have insurance, I'd go back (or somewhere else), ask for an x-ray exam, and then see what the options are, including if you need to see an orthopedic surgeon.

• Members

A rule of thumb (no punn intended) is 4 weeks but 8 to get it back to complete normality. That's if you didn't tear a ligament or a tendon. Don't use it/push it and try to do things you shouldn't, it will help the healing process.

Thanks for the info, I hyperextended the hell out of my right thumb on the 12th and it's still pretty weak and prone to twinges if I use the muscles wrong. I'll give it a week or two of glucosamine and see if that makes the joint happier.

• Members
Thanks for the info, I hyperextended the hell out of my right thumb on the 12th and it's still pretty weak and prone to twinges if I use the muscles wrong. I'll give it a week or two of glucosamine and see if that makes the joint happier.

My understanding is that glucosamine is for joint surfaces - cartilage & bone. You're talking soft tissue damage.

• Members

That stuff needs to be in your system for 30 days before you have noticeable effects. In addition, Takeout is right, it's for joints, not soft tissue injuries.

Only time heals this one.

Archived