NTOT : Anyone in Audio Production?

PaulyWally

• Members

I work in audio for television production. If that is of interest, bring on the questions!
:thu:

Well, I don't see much formal education for audio production. What does one typically need to get into that job market? What do you need to know? What skills to employers want to see?

I'm just not sure where to start.

• Members

Ok, I am a sound assistant/sound editor here in lovely strike filled Los Angeles, so maybe I can help a bit.

1st

Make sure you know what kind of audio production you want to get involved with:

-Post production audio for film/television, editing and mixing, foley, sound design

-Production audio, for film/tv (boom mike, recording dialogue)

-Live audio for television or sporting events

-Music studio type recording

2nd

Where do you live? Are you willing to relocate for a job? Can you afford a pay cut?

I know I had to move to LA to do what I wanted to do. I also had to start at the very bottom. I was a runner when I first got here. Got paid nothing and ran around LA all day. But it payed off, I met tons of contacts and by the time the runner gig was up I had two job offers.

The biggest question is to ask yourself exactly what you want to do. Set a goal and list all the pros and cons.

Post some more info and we can look at your options more.

• Members

Go to a full time recording studio w/resume.

If you get hired, it's generally as a gopher until you can move up to 2nd assistant to the assistant engineer. You can spend all the $$ you want for an education, but this is generally where you'll start. You'll make coffee and run for snacks at all hours of the night, then get to clean up(starting with the bathroom) when the session is done, and make absolutely SURE everything is perfect for the next session.

The folks that succeed don't sleep. They remain at the studio and read manuals and do whatever it takes to prepare themselves for the next rung of the ladder. Nothing romantic about it.

If you can handle all that, crappy bands with nasty attitudes, and taking sh*t from the owners, then go for it. :):thu:

• Members

Ok, I am a sound assistant/sound editor here in lovely strike filled Los Angeles, so maybe I can help a bit.

1st

-Post production audio for film/television, editing and mixing, foley, sound design

2nd

Where do you live? Are you willing to relocate for a job? Can you afford a pay cut?

I know I had to move to LA to do what I wanted to do. I also had to start at the very bottom. I was a runner when I first got here. Got paid nothing and ran around LA all day. But it payed off, I met tons of contacts and by the time the runner gig was up I had two job offers.

The biggest question is to ask yourself exactly what you want to do. Set a goal and list all the pros and cons.

Good stuff.

• Members

1st

2nd

I LOL'd at your avatar! :lol: Back on topic, I do sound work on the side for fun, but have not found a way to make money at it.

• Members

I think any kind of post production interests me the most. But if I had to choose one, probably digital mixing/editing.

I'm near Milwaukee, WI. As for relocation... I'd rather not. But, I'm not tied down here either. At the very least, I would think there is enough work for post production around these parts that I wouldn't have to look far to at least get an idea of what's out there.

Goals? Pros? Cons? I don't know. I'm very unfamiliar with the business. I've only done some various side projects for bands, myself, and friends (which was mostly mixing and editing - but not always music-related).

• Members

I think any kind of post production interests me the most. But if I had to choose one, probably digital mixing/editing.

I'm near Milwaukee, WI. As for relocation... I'd rather not. But, I'm not tied down here either. I would think there is enough work for post production around these parts that I wouldn't have to look far to at least get an idea of what's out there.

Goals? Pros? Cons? I don't know. I'm very unfamiliar with the business. I've only done some various side projects for bands, myself, and friends (which was mostly mixing and editing - but not always music-related).

You would think there would be a handfull of post places in Milwaukee. Otherwise, Chicago's got plenty and it's not that far to relocate. From what I've been hearing lately, Madison has quite a cool arts community. I plan on checking it out next year.

• Members

You would think there would be a handfull of post places in Milwaukee. Otherwise, Chicago's got plenty and it's not that far to relocate. From what I've been hearing lately, Madison has quite a cool arts community. I plan on checking it out next year.

Yeah... I've been thinking about relocating to Madison for a few years now. They're pretty up-and-coming in areas like this. Milwaukee is getting there too... slowly. But there are several post-production houses here.

Madison actually has a school for all sorts of media training - audio, video, graphic design, etc. I don't know if it's actually a helpful route to consider though.

• Members

I'm near Milwaukee, WI. As for relocation... I'd rather not. But, I'm not tied down here either. At the very least, I would think there is enough work for post production around these parts that I wouldn't have to look far to at least get an idea of what's out there.

Ok, so as far as post goes outside of LA I won't be much help. If you are not dead set on working on movies or big budget tv than you should be able to find something in your area. One good place to start small might be at your local cable company. Many of these have pretty good studios, and put out a good deal of local programming. You can gain a lot of experience for free, of course you won't get paid either.

also poke around some other internet forums. I know yahoo groups have a good sound design group that a bunch of guys out here frequent.

As far as learning some skills, out here pro tools is the standard. I know many people don't like it, but when a stage charges 900 an hour and all they have is pro tools you gotta learn to live with it and know how to use it.

These days, you can get a system for short money, so I would start there and learn the software. You can practice editing and mixing by finding free sfx on the web and playing around with them. Spend some time adding sounds to your home videos just to get an idea.

I know there is more than this to tell you but my brain is slow today for some reason.

• Members

Yeah... I've been thinking about relocating to Madison for a few years now. They're pretty up-and-coming in areas like this. Milwaukee is getting there too... slowly. But there are several post-production houses here.

Madison actually has a school for all sorts of media training - audio, video, graphic design, etc. I don't know if it's actually a helpful route to consider though.

I know how you feel about waiting for Milwaukee. Hell, my area's coming along too. There's a lot of cultural development going on in my community. But it's really struggling in it's growth. ...despite a BIG arts underground here. :idk:

As for school, you can take classes, but from what I've learned, your better off actually living on that money while being a gopher. Most of us already know the nuts n bolts anyway.

• Members

Yeah, I have one. Ever used a Grass Valley Turbo? Exporting files is driving me nuts!

Sorry, no, but I've used plenty of Grass gear, from the 100 to a Kalypso, with lots of time around the 3000.

As for the industry, I work mostly live sports and production recording, but every once in a while I'll get thrown under the bus doing a live PA mix or what have you.

I'm not sure how the market is in music recording. The old guys last for years, not sure how fast the young ones move up. Many of the pro (audio) recording studios around here are suffering the effects of ProTools and home studios everywhere, but I deal with mostly commercial type houses. Many people feel (and somewhat rightly so) that they can make their own radio spots in their own system. Some are very good, others are abyssmal, but they still believe they can do it on their own for less.

In live sports, there is a market, but usually you need to live near a college or pro sports city. You need to understand the gear, mics, IFB's, RTS, etc. and learn about setting up a decent show without dooming yourself. Usually, you can start as a Utility (must know how to coil cable quickly, and follow directions) and meet some of the other A-2's (audio setup engineers) in your area. You'll likely need to work as an A-2 for a while before stepping into the A-1 seat (mixing). The demands are more stringent than live show mixing (in some ways), and familiarity with shows in general can be gained as an A-2. It can be a good gig, golf and NASCAR require several days of work a week, and they travel the guys they like.

Audio for video can run the gamut, from holding a shotgun boom to mixing 8 mics for a roundtable discussion. News is pretty specialized, as is production. It's fun, but most of the time you get the least amount of setup time, and hold all the responsibility for what goes on tape. Many of these guys own their own gear, and include its rental in their day rate.

The biggest thing to remember in TV audio is there is little patience for the confused. Videotaping is expensive, and people want good (at least adequate) results every take, to avoid extending production time, and costing more.

It's a tough business, but I wouldn't trade it for anything!:thu:

As for school, if you have the aptitude, and can find a place to start, that's most of the battle. Even with good natural ability, you are likely to come up against people with degrees, vying for the same job. Weigh that against the cost and time of getting a degree yourself.

• Members

I've done A-2 work for video and Broadcast, in my opinion when compared to mixing a live event from FOH, the video work is a cakewalk. Most shoots have at least a half day to setup, with no 'client' there, so you run your mults, check all your lines, make any changes that the A-1 thinks he wants... then (as an A-2) your job is to be ready if anything goes wrong... this can be as simple as re-connecting something that someone stepped on (which shouldn't be a problem) or unplugged not knowing to running a secondary mult in the catwalks... that can get fun, especially when you are running 500' homeruns! then you get to the really easy stuff, like putting Lavs on the talent, or making sure the talent can't mess with the beltpacks (we had to gaff up one beltpack for a certain poker player who kept messing with his, and we gaffed it to his belt, you could have lifted him up by the beltpack!! ) then there is the work part, tearing down in as little time as you can.... and getting everything in the right place and looking neat in the least time you can..... I've not sat in the A-1 seat for video work, but have do FOH for concert type events all the time, I'd take the A-2 job (as far as ease of doing it) anyday, plus the scale for video is a lot higher...

Just my $.02

• Members

So for you audio engineers... I see this posted on CL:

" Ever wondered how professional engineers, producers, and mixers make such great sounding recordings with little or no effort?

There is a secret and until recently this secret has only been obtainable to the privileged people who have been able to either sit right next to these guys in the studio or paid a high price tag for technical audio school.

This secret system which is employed by these big wigs can be learned by you also, and it can improve your recordings within a week! I promise you will be amazed with the diffrence in your recordings!

If you are interested in knowing the secret to creating great sounding recordings please reply to this craigslist listing and I will email you back shortly with more information about this great method which you will carry with you to make the most finest recordings for life. Thank you, Mike."

---------------

Where does this guy buy his crack and do people really pay this guy money for the ancient chinese secret of mixing music? ? ? ? :confused:

Archived