Reusing Strings

Westsailor

• Members

Is it advisable to re-use strings after they have been under tension?

Specifically, I have new flats on my fretless. I just picked up some half rounds and want to give em a shot.

What if I don't like them? Can I put the flats back on with no problem?

Or, what if I do like the half rounds but want to go back to the flats for a while (maybe even months). If I store the half rounds until I'm ready to change strings 'permanently', are they going to get ummm.. 'dull' after having been tensioned for a bit then stored for a period?

• Members

Nope. What usually makes them dull, especially with round wound strings (I use them), is the oil from your fingers. That's why people boil the strings after they take them off. You don't have to boil them if you're going to reuse them, but it is advisable. Even if you don't, I'm sure they won't be any duller than before you took them off.

Mr. Matt

• Members

If you can't boil thm, you can use Denatured Alcohol...it eats all that grime and oil off quickly; just bathe the strings in it for a few minutes, wipe them off, let them dry for a few and restring.

To keep your strings Happy(er) through their life use Rubbing Alcohol to clean them after playing...dip some on a cloth and pinch each string and rub them up and down...you get rid of some of the gunk on a daily basis, PLUS it's diluted enough that it wont harm your finger board if it gets on it.

DO NOT i repeat DO NOT use Denatured Alcohol on your strings while they are on your bass...you're on your own if you do. That stuff will eat varnish and paint, other oils...etc...

• Members

Most excellent news!

I always wipe the neck/strings down really well (pinching strings) at the end of the night/practice. I never thought of using a 'solvent' (rubbing alcohol) thought. Actually, I think I'll do that right now for my round wound yammie just on GP :)

Duly noted about not using denatured alcohol while the strings are still on the bass.

That string cleaning tube is cool. Maybe one day...

Obviously a function of how grimy they are, but in general how long should you boil strings?

Thanks!

p.s. happy birfday to me... happy birfday to mee!!!

• Members

Most excellent news!

I always wipe the neck/strings down really well (pinching strings) at the end of the night/practice. I never thought of using a 'solvent' (rubbing alcohol) thought. Actually, I think I'll do that right now for my round wound yammie just on GP
:)

Duly noted about not using denatured alcohol while the strings are still on the bass.

That string cleaning tube is cool. Maybe one day...

Obviously a function of how grimy they are, but in general how long should you boil strings?

Thanks!

p.s. happy birfday to me... happy birfday to mee!!!

Happy B'day :thu:

Boil the strings long enough (15 minutes) as you're using hot water and the bubbling action to get in the knooks and crannies. Wipe them off then allow them to dry for maybe 10/15+ minutes before putting them on.

The good thing with rubbing Alcohol and Denatured is the evaporation rate; that stuff dries in minutes and you're ready to go. seconds actually.

• Members

Back when I was gigging in taverns with my 6 string regularly, I boiled my strings often. I'd install fresh strings every month and boil them after 2 weeks of playing.

That said...

once you boil them, it's been my experience that they will get more dead and get dead faster afterwards. ...even if you do your best to keep 'em dry(from sweat and whatnot).

• Members

Back when I was gigging in taverns with my 6 string regularly, I boiled my strings often. I'd install fresh strings every month and boil them after 2 weeks of playing.

That said...

once you boil them, it's been my experience that they will get more dead and get dead faster afterwards. ...even if you do your best to keep 'em dry(from sweat and whatnot).

You know, with the ones I use, I almost like them better after they've been boiled once - and they seem to maintain an even amount of zing for a longer period of time. It could be the fact that I only put new strings on for PDots or Bears gigs - then thrash them so badly that E string is usually dead at the end of the set. Boiled they come back to life and behave.

• Members

You know, with the ones I use, I almost like them better after they've been boiled once - and they seem to maintain an even amount of zing for a longer period of time. It could be the fact that I
only
put new strings on for PDots or Bears gigs - then thrash them so badly that E string is usually dead at the end of the set. Boiled they come back to life and behave.

I know exactly what your talking about. In my experience, that perfect state only lasted 1 1/2 sets. :(

• Members

Is it advisable to re-use strings after they have been under tension?

Specifically, I have new flats on my fretless. I just picked up some half rounds and want to give em a shot.

What if I don't like them? Can I put the flats back on with no problem?

Or, what if I do like the half rounds but want to go back to the flats for a while (maybe even months). If I store the half rounds until I'm ready to change strings 'permanently', are they going to get ummm.. 'dull' after having been tensioned for a bit then stored for a period?

I've done it before and they're fine.

I've taken strings off for mods and replaced the originals. They stayed in tune and they were just fine.

This is especially true of flats. What, they will sound flatter? No they won't.

Don't believe me though, try it and see. I've done it many times and they have been OK.

My $0.02

Archived