On eBay

Derek5272

• Members

GK Backline 600

Assuming it doesn't go over $200 CAD (+$45 for shipping) or so, would you guys say that's a good deal? I found out yesterday that my 200W amp isn't really 200W unless I get an extra cab for it, which still probably wouldn't be able to keep up well with a drummer. So I was thinking of taking it back in and getting another amp. This head, and maybe a 210BLX to start with I was thinking, would run it at 180W which is already a bit more power than my current amp. Should cost me less than $500, then I could get a 115 later on to get 300W. Sound like a good idea?

• Members

The Traynor combo in my sig. It was marked as a 200W amp, but when I was looking at power ratings and stuff on the Traynor site, I noticed that it says it's 200W at 2 ohms impedance. I e-mailed them asking about it, and they said it's only 160W without an extension cab. I know the difference between 160W and 200W would be hardly noticeable, but I was hoping to be able to get extra power if I got an extra cab.

• Members

Yes you could add a cab but I would also look at something with a little more power 200 watts RMS is where I would start and more is better, the backline would be 300 RMS but to me GK sound a bit HI FI ish. I like a little more grit.

• Members

Well, I've personally never tried a GK rig, but I have heard some in concert (Flea) and in a much smaller clinic setting (Norm Stockton)... Of course, both times, a great player was attached to the rig, but the tone was still nice :) And I figure, for what I can afford, a Backline would probably get me as close to that tone as I can get, and for $200 I don't think I could really go wrong. I was just hoping someone who's tried a Backline 600 would come in and say "Yeah, that's a great deal" or "No, those amps suck" or something like that to make things easier for me :p

• Members

Doesn't make tons of sense to me, if you aren't upgrading that much.

FWIW, Flea and Norm aren't playing the Backline series... ;) The 1001/2001's can be had for pretty cheap new as it is. I'd save up and just be happy.

I played through some Backline cabs (as a backline :badump:) once and they were downright terrible.

I dragged my Mesa 610 up for the next set, 155lbs be damned!

• Members

Oh, I know they aren't playing Backlines. If the cabs suck, I'll take it as a given that the heads would suck too... But has anybody played one to give me a definite answer one way or the other on them?

The thing with the 1001/2001 is... I don't want to spend over $700 on JUST a head, and still have to worry about getting cabs after that.

• Members

Oh, I know they aren't playing Backlines. If the cabs suck, I'll take it as a given that the heads would suck too... But has anybody played one to give me a definite answer one way or the other on them?

The thing with the 1001/2001 is... I don't want to spend over $700 on JUST a head, and still have to worry about getting cabs after that.

You can get the 1001 shipped for $600, and that's brand new from RMC Audio. It's tough to pass up man. :) Add your Avatar of choice, and you have the ultimate budget/midrange rig!

• Members

You can get the 1001 shipped for $600, and that's brand new from RMC Audio. It's tough to pass up man.
:)
Add your Avatar of choice, and you have the ultimate budget/midrange rig!

RMC doesn't ship outside of the USA, according to the website.

An Avatar 210 (new) would run me $370 plus shipping. Not exactly budget to me.

• Members

Move.

Don't buy one new, silly.
:)

I intend to move back south of the border when I can afford to. Unless you guys put another Clinton in office...

And what do you suggest? Nothing on eBay.ca, no 210's on the HC Classifieds in quite a while that aren't marked as sold.

• Members

I intend to move back south of the border when I can afford to. Unless you guys put another Clinton in office...

And what do you suggest? Nothing on eBay.ca, no 210's on the HC Classifieds in quite a while that aren't marked as sold.

She's dropping like bomb in some places, thank God.

HC Classys are ok, but try Talkbass, Bassgear.com, or any online bass sales shop. They have used stuff at pretty much all of them.

Archived