Converted fretless

gearbot

• Members

I converted my Alvarez four string to fretless. Out came the frets, in went the wood. The glue dried, I sanded the surface, got it all nice and smooth, and put on some lemon oil. It was great up until I decided to tighten the neck a little. The wooden fretlines started to get all out of place, and now it buzzes in some spots. Some rose a little out of the fingerboard, some went down/shrunk. I don't want to do it over and have the same thing happen. Is there anything I can put on and smooth out the dips with?

• Members

Yor other option would be to resand the fret board down but that might not fix it and might cause even more problems like removeing the radius or changing it which isn't always a bad thing but not always good either. this is why luithiers stay in business.

• Members

haha... you're right but I'm broke. Plus this bass had little going for it when it had the frets. I don't want to re-sand it or laquer it or anything like that. Should I just redo it with the maple? Would it eliminate the problem?

• Moderators

haha... you're right but I'm broke. Plus this bass had little going for it when it had the frets. I don't want to re-sand it or laquer it or anything like that. Should I just redo it with the maple? Would it eliminate the problem?

Maple would help. I can't promise it will eliminate the problem because that depends on your luthier skills.

• Members

I'm no luthier, I just glued in the wood and shaped them flush. Whatever happened after that was based off of the physical change from string tension and truss rod adjustment.

What I'm wondering is if maple and super glue (for porous materials) will hold up through changing strings and tweaking the rod.

• Moderators

I'm no luthier, I just glued in the wood and shaped them flush. Whatever happened after that was based off of the physical change from string tension and truss rod adjustment.

What I'm wondering is if maple and super glue (for porous materials) will hold up through changing strings and tweaking the rod.

It should.

• Moderators

Another long night of wood particles and sweat for me I suppose. Thanks for the advice.

The superglue is going to be the strongest part of the equation. I am not sure if that means you want more or less of it, since it will be less able to flex under the stress of the moving neck. I don't have firsthand experience with these types of repairs so I'd have to think about it some more.

• Moderators

Any idea as to what glue gets used for the factory fretline inlays?

I would use a yellow or white wood glue, but I could be totally wrong. I honestly haven't done this or thought about it before.

However, when stabilizing a fretboard or when repairing dings in a board, I use a very non-viscous superglue mixed with dust I've collected from the board to create a very strong and stable repair. These repaired sections have never created a problem for me when adjusting the relief in the neck.

• Members

A good quality wood glue would be my suggestion because it would more likely to flex with adjustments. Amd maple would be a good choise or ebony if you want dark lines but you can always stain the board if you don't like the lines.

• Moderators

A good quality wood glue would be my suggestion because it would more likely to flex with adjustments.

That was my thought, but not having experience I was unsure if there would be creep issues as the markers are placed under compressive stress.

• Members

Flexible is good. Anything that won't separate under the stress should work. I just don't know about these materials and their performance.

I initially tried wood filler, but it wouldn't keep smooth. It wore away at the surface and left me with the same problem I have now with the buzzing. Then I put in the wood. Could I smooth it out by putting something over the wood pieces to seal them?

• Members

Re-reading it now, it appears you didn't reseal the fretboard? Or you just tore the frets out and didn't sand it down?

When I did mine, I took the frets out, sanded it all down nicely/smoothly, then sealed over with a few coats of spar laquer. Worked wonders.

Edit: I should add cleaned slots and filled with dark woodfiller, then sanded smoothly, and sealed.

Archived