Bass-strings

Cpt. Spliff

• Members

Hi all, here I am, a rosycheeked and virginal new member from where polar bears roam the streets.... so treat me gently, if you don't mind.

I've just bought a beautiful thirty-odd-year-old Maya (of Kobe, Japan). After a bit of sandpapering her neck-through is now very nice to put your hands around and her hips are just exciting (looks like an Ibanez "Bob Weir", all you guitar-freaks). The neck is a 5-piece maple and walnut (?), but I don't know what the wings are made of. Nevertheless.... my problem is, that I would like a bit more bottom. I'm ridiculously partial to medium, flatwound strings but they don't do the trick for me. I don't want to try out dozens of different strings, so is there anyone on this forum, who can give me a qualified hint on what, not too heavy, strings I can use ? I'd like to keep the top.

I use a Koenckel Exef-head with Hartke 410 & 115.

• Members

For strings I use RotoSound RS 77 LD jazz flats they are pretty good on the mid and btm end not much top. if you haven't tried yet if you need more btm try cutting your mids a little and see if that helps. OH and WELCOME TO HCBF.:wave:

• Members

Thank you, Jannda, for the quick reply and the nice welcome.

I have tried to cut the mids without roaring success and will try the Roto-Sounds if and when I can get them. Flatwounds are not popular here and only a few Fender and d'Addario flats are available. How about rounds ? I use them on my JV-Squiers (J and P), the Stingray.... and the Washburn 8-string, of course.

• Members

I'm absolutely hopeless at the finer arts of the internet and can't even put a picture to my nick, so both I and Maya must be non-existent. It is, however rather like the Ibanez Artist with scallopped (is that the right word ?) edges and two equally small horns, but it's carved out in the bottom rather like a Kawai KS-guitar.

I use nickel-plated roundwounds on some of my other basses, but haven't gone deeper than 105 and usually stop at a 100 (except the Stingray). Neither those nor those with flatwounds lack bottom. I haven't tried DR's. I suppose that roundwounds were meant ?

We play a strange mixture of Funk-Jazz-Rock-House with a different bass on different songs. ? !

PS.: Was it the Artist on the piece the Lesser God sent ?

Archived