How are the Lakland Skyline basses?

seraphim7s

• Members

I have the Lakland Darryl Jones DJ4. I totally love it and it is a quality built instrument. It captures it's own vibe based on Lakland's take on the Jazz bass. That vibe is where personal preference comes in to determine if any bass is for you or not. This one is definitely for me.

I am impressed enough that I bought a Lakland 55-02 and I've never played one. I'm still waiting for it to arrive so I don't know what I think yet. I may not love the vibe on it as much, we'll see, I THINK I will, but one thing I'm not worried about, based on the Lakland I own, is the quality of the build or the sound the electronics and wood will produce.

• Members

...but the wood just feels and even looks better.

In the Lakland FAQ on the difference between Skylines and US basses one of the main differences listed is the wood selections. The woods on the US Laklands are hand selected. It also explains that their is a pretty wide range of possible weights for the Skyline basses, I believe 8-11 lbs. I suspect the same is true with other manufacturers and so the wood would be of a higher and probably noticeably nicer quality.

• Members

In the Lakland FAQ on the difference between Skylines and US basses one of the main differences listed is the wood selections. The woods on the US Laklands are hand selected. It also explains that their is a pretty wide range of possible weights for the Skyline basses, I believe 8-11 lbs. I suspect the same is true with other manufacturers and so the wood would be of a higher and probably noticeably nicer quality.

From what I've seen that's the #1 most important factor in what makes a good bass great. The best woods will resonate and sing, and bring a bass to life. Lessor woods, even with everything else being exactly the same, just won't ever have that lively vibe. The great builders are the ones who know how to find the perfect woods. You can fix just about any aspect of a bass once it's built, but the quality of the wood is one thing that can never be changed.

• Moderators

From what I've seen that's the #1 most important factor in what makes a good bass great. The best woods will resonate and sing, and bring a bass to life. Lessor woods, even with everything else being exactly the same, just won't ever have that lively vibe. The great builders are the ones who know how to find the perfect woods. You can fix just about any aspect of a bass once it's built, but the quality of the wood is one thing that can never be changed.

You're so smart! :love:

but if you really are so smart, how do all of your bass projects keep failing? :poke:

• Members

I would put the Fender Jazz 24, the Ibanez ATK700, and the new Cort A4, all basses I have played and/or owned, right up there with the 3 Skylines I have owned as far as performance and playability. .

I wouldn't be surprised if they were all made at the same Cort Korean factory. Although the neck dimensions, scale etc. were quite different, the last Fender Jazz 24 I played really reminded me of my Lakland Skyline 55-01.

• Members

My Skyline 44-02 with Lakland pups is 1) my first and only Lakland, 2) my first and only MM/J config and 3) my first and only active/passive...

so I really don't have much to say as far as comparison to other brands....

I can say this about the guitar....bottom line 11/10

- neck/frets are superb

- fit and finish also excellent

- pups and 3 band eq are great...very easy to dial in on the fly for whatever the venue requires...can leave my amp pretty much flat and get to wherever I want to go tone-wise

- passive tone is also beautiful....

- control layout is perfect and designed to be able to easily adjust any control without looking at the guitar

- sustain is huge compared to any other bass I've owned...that sucker rings until you get off it

- weight is medium-light....so comfy

I cannot find anything about this bass I don't love. If they made an unlined fretless I'd own 2 Laklands...c-d

• Moderators

I'd say 'thanks!' except for the fact that I detect some sarcasm...

:p
:cry:

The first part of my post is truly without sarcasm. You "get it" with respect to many concepts that are ignored by many. As the post goes on, it gets more sarcastic. I'm just not in a terribly good mood at the moment and I need something to keep me occupied/make myself laugh.

• Moderators

When you live on the cutting edge, pushing the envelope with every attempt it's not always going to be smooth sailing. Complex project basses are not for the weak hearted.
:evil:

Which is while I am using an ice skate (cutting edge), a recycled "envelope" and a sail(ing) boat mast to construct my next bass...

• Members

The first part of my post is truly without sarcasm. You "get it" with respect to many concepts that are ignored by many. As the post goes on, it gets more sarcastic. I'm just not in a terribly good mood at the moment and I need something to keep me occupied/make myself laugh.

How about this then............

:D

• Members

I'm just not in a terribly good mood at the moment and I need something to keep me occupied/make myself laugh.

OK - this just happend about 10 minutes ago...I get a fax from this account rep....

the message on the cover sheet says...

c-d

Here's the W-9...I'll send a f/u email as well....B

I showed it to my office mate and said "I get that a lot...."

• Members

:p

Selling the Glaub...
:rolleyes:
You knew it had a wide neck profile.
:confused:
Besides, I can't imagine a beefy neck is something that can throw off a manly man like yourself. Someone is going to come away with a hell of a deal.
:thu:

I can handle it, I just prefer the narrower neck profile. It sucks too because I really dig the bass. there's a reason I haven't owned a Precision bass for 20 years or so. I just needed a little reminding. ;)

I think I may get a Duck Dunn if I don' work a trade for a Stingray I'm looking at.

• Moderators

I can handle it, I just prefer the narrower neck profile. It sucks too because I really dig the bass. there's a reason I haven't owned a Precision bass for 20 years or so. I just needed a little reminding.
;)

I think I may get a Duck Dunn if I don' work a trade for a Stingray I'm looking at.

Do the Stingray. Call me a heretic, but I can't stand the binding on the DD.

• Moderators

I do really like Rays too though. Can't go wrong with 'em IMO.

My girl was asking me a few nights ago what bass I want to add to the collection next. There is no question it is a Stingray. It would be my only bass with an active preamp though. Am I really ready to branch out that far? :rolleyes:

Speaking of which, last night I was playing the Ric into my V-4B and was loving the ability to play at the edge of breakup with both pickups on and drop into full overdrive by flipping the switch to solo the bridge pickup (which characteristically gives a gain boost on Rics). Guttermouth and I were talking about a gain boost switch in a bass. Then he showed me his Electra dual humbucker guitar with more electronics than I've ever seen in an instrument outside of an Alembic. After seeing that, I no longer thing a simple on board preamp is all that big of a deal. ;)

• Members

My girl was asking me a few nights ago what bass I want to add to the collection next. There is no question it is a Stingray. It would be my only bass with an active preamp though. Am I really ready to branch out that far?
:rolleyes:

Speaking of which, last night I was playing the Ric into my V-4B and was loving the ability to play at the edge of breakup with both pickups on and drop into full overdrive by flipping the switch to solo the bridge pickup (which characteristically gives a gain boost on Rics). Guttermouth and I were talking about a gain boost switch in a bass. Then he showed me his Electra dual humbucker guitar with more electronics than I've ever seen in an instrument outside of an Alembic. After seeing that, I no longer thing a simple on board preamp is all that big of a deal.
;)

Yup. useful if done right and voiced correctly. I like the 2 band Stingray preamp. Same with the Sadowsky. There are many I like and many I don't.

Same with passives too though.

• Members

My girl was asking me a few nights ago what bass I want to add to the collection next. There is no question it is a Stingray. It would be my only bass with an active preamp though.

Going to go with a traditional single H-pup Stingray though? Or an HS or HH version?

With all your basses you have now, no need for more versatility...which is why I see you getting a single H-pup

• Members

That's a stingray IMO. And honestly, I've played a SH and HH version nd 99% of the time the bass stays on the bridge bucker anyway.
;)

Thought I would too, but I mainly keep my HS on the Single coil bridge and Single coil neck config...which makes it sound like an aggressive Jazz bass.

I rarely use the bridge bucker by itself anymore.

Archived