American Jazz Bass Hum

theradvocate

• Members

First off this is a great forum and there really is a ton of good info here.

Last night I bought a Fender Diamond 60th anniversary USA Jazz Bass (Yes I realize the 60th anniversary mumbo jumbo is nothing more than a USA Jazz bass with a few extra bells and whistles but it was the only USA Jazz bass the store had in a sunburst with passive pickups).

I was wondering about this bass in connection with recording. I have been playing a mid 70

• Members

The best way to deal with this is to replace the pickups with stacked humbuckers in J-tyle. Nordstrand, DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan have several models which are hum-cancelling stacked humbuckers. Everything from vintage to modern-sounding.

• Members

The best way to deal with this is to replace the pickups with stacked humbuckers in J-tyle. Nordstrand, DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan have several models which are hum-cancelling stacked humbuckers. Everything from vintage to modern-sounding.

will they fit in the pre cut wells or will I have to modify the bass ...

• Members

will they fit in the pre cut wells or will I have to modify the bass ...

They will fit right in. I have heard some nordstrands, and they sound very close to fender vintage pickups. There is a difference though. Slight, but it is there.

• Members

If you like the tone right now, obviously changing the pickups is going to change the tone. Also...stacked humbuckers sound close, but not the same as normal J singles...

Shield the control cavities...all of them.

If you do decide to shield(which I highly recommend - as it won't hurt you any, even if you still end up changing out pups - but it *might* knock your hum down to an acceptable level) - make sure all shielded compartments are connected, with one of them going to ground...

- georgestrings

Archived