Bass Guitar noob: Noisy p-bass pickups?

Anonymous Guy

• Members

I've been learning using the split P-bass pickups as a thumb guide for my playing. However, when my fingers come into contact with the magnets covering the A and E strings, a loud buzzing comes out that seems to be grounded when my left palm rests on all of the strings.

What should I do?

• Members

Split P PUs are usually very quiet.

When you touch the poles:

Your bass will make a hum(or a pop) when you touch the poles. I don't touch them. One thing to try is clear nail polish to cover the poles. This will insulate the metal and stop the noise.

If your bass buzzes unless you touch metal on the bass, like the strings, tuners, knobs, ect:

This is usually a shielding issue. Do a search for copper shielding control cavities.

Does this sound like it will help. If not repost with more info on problem.

• Members

Your bass will make a hum(or a pop) when you touch the poles. I don't touch them. One thing to try is clear nail polish to cover the poles. This will insulate the metal and stop the noise.

If your bass buzzes unless you touch metal on the bass, like the strings, tuners, knobs, ect:

This is usually a shielding issue. Do a search for copper shielding control cavities.

speaking of shielding..

I experimented with aluminum foil,spray adhesive and a cheap noisy P bass copy the other day....:thu: Worked like a charm and a helluva lot cheaper than copper shielding tape;)

• Members

Actually, I just shielded the cavity of my bass with Stew Mac's copper tape. The bass is silent, except for the humming that comes from occasional contact with the polepieces. If it's a common occurrence, I guess I'll try out the clear nail polish solution.

Or just get a better plucking technique. Thanks!

• Members

Actually, I just shielded the cavity of my bass with Stew Mac's copper tape. The bass is silent, except for the humming that comes from occasional contact with the polepieces. If it's a common occurrence, I guess I'll try out the clear nail polish solution.

Or just get a better plucking technique. Thanks!

oh ya that is pretty common

the clear nail polish will do the trick

• Members

I may have to try alum foil. I have some hum, but I am too lazy to buy copper tape latly. Any pointers to make the process easier?

just kind of pre fit the pieces of foil then turn them over and spray the stickum to the foil then place the foil inside the cavitys.

pretty simple process really.

Archived