Gating

cwatson

• Members

Basically it doesn't let a signal below a certain level (threshold set by you) pass. In an extreme situation say you said the threshold set to -10db and you played your bass which is putting out say -15db when you pluck lightly you would hear nothing coming from the speaker. if you say slapped the string and that put out -6db then you would hear it and as soon as the level drops below -10db the sound shuts off. thats a very basic description, you can also use them with a trigger which basically means they will (or will to some extent) or won't let sound through when the level of another signal eg kickdrum is above or below a certain threshold. i.e. you only hear bass when the kickdrum is hit, thats used mainly for bands in recording who cant keep time :p

• Members

what exactly is gating?
:confused:

A "Gate" (s.k.a. "Expander") is not necessarily an effect... but it goes in-line similar to effects.

What it does, is only allow sound through if it reaches a certain volume (or threshold). Basically, it keeps unwanted noise from being sent to your amplifier... and eventually out your speakers.

The most basic use for a gate, is if you have noise/hum coming from your instrument. You set the threshold on the gate somewhere between the volume of the noise and that of you playing on a string.

So the gate closes when you're not playing, and you will not hear any buzz/hum through the speaker. When you pluck a string, it opens the gate, and allows that sound to come through. And the gate closes when you're done playing.

• Members

My old drummer has a GateX in his studio. He uses it to gate certain frequencies in addition to volume. (Really helpful with toms.) I suppose that could be helpful with bass guitar if there were certain frequencies that bugged you during certain parts. I definitely agree that it could be a tone suck. Seems like an EQ pedal would be more effective at what I'm talking about.

• Members

so in a nutshell....

pass filters cut out certain frequencies completely

compressors keep the signal within a given db range

gates cut the signal if it goes outside the given db range

Notch filters cut out certain frequencies completely, but otherwise you've got it right.

• Members

O.k.....what's an expander? The bottom half of a compressor?.....ie., it raises the lower level signals without squashing the higher level signals?????

An expander boosts high levels and attenuates low levels, so it's a good tool to kill noise, just like noise gates.

It's only a matter of compression ratio.

between 0:1 and 1:1 it's an expander

At 1:1 it does nothing

From 2:1 to 10:1 it's a compressor

Over 10:1 it's a limiter

Above 20:1 you have a peak limiter, or brick wall limiter.

Archived