PICK-UP UPGRADE

browndog021

• Members

I am looking to replace the emg's in my P-bass with emg-hz's and an active pre-amp. I want my P to sound as close as possible to my Schecter. Our soundguy loves the punch and clarity of the schecter which I use for standard and drop-d tunings. When I plug in my P (drop-c, d-standard) he says it just doesn't sound the same.Plenty of low end but too "dubby". The schecter has a nice Low end but all of the notes on all of the strings are very even and articulate. The "e" string on my P stands out while the other strings tend to get lost. I have adjusted the pickups that I have now but that has not made much difference. I love the way my P plays and feels just not ecstatic about it's tone. Am I wasting my time trying to change it's sound? Should I just buy the 4-string brother of my Schec and leave the P at home for practice?Thanks.

• Moderators

It is strange to me that your E string stands out as it seems most commonly for A strings to be most prominent in P basses, though they typically can be very even with adjustments in setup and playing style. If you love how the P plays and feels, there is nothing wrong with swapping pickups to chase your desired tone. They can often make a HUGE difference. Since you already know what tone you are chasing, it shouldn't be a difficult process. Ideally you would get an opportunity to try those pickups and preamp in a bass to see if it captures it, but that isn't always practical.

• Members

The Schecter has emg-hz soapbars(40's?) and a 3 band active pre-amp. By putting as close as possible pups and pre in I hope to get the same tone. I guess I can assume that because the two basses are different shapes and weights ,not to mention woods getting the exact tone is not possible but hopefully I can get something real close. It would save a bit of trouble for the sound guy anyway.

• Moderators

The Schecter has emg-hz soapbars(40's?) and a 3 band active pre-amp. By putting as close as possible pups and pre in I hope to get the same tone. I guess I can assume that because the two basses are different shapes and weights ,not to mention woods getting the exact tone is not possible but hopefully I can get something real close. It would save a bit of trouble for the sound guy anyway.

You can probably get close, but not right on. It will be "in the same family" as opposed to "identical twin." In my experience, many basses with active EMGs sound exceedingly similar despite other design differences. You might find you prefer the tone of the P more than the Schecter (or vice versa), but the difference should narrow considerably.

Archived