Condenser mic for gigs

e021708

• Members

I just bought a Shure 87A beta condenser mic. I have not played out with it yet. I normally use a Shure SM 58. (solo acoustic act and a small rock trio)

The Shure 87A beta is so different for me. It may be in my mind but, it seems very forgiving. I wonder if you could get lazy using one of these?:blah::blah::wave:

• Members

It can't make a bad singer sound good. If it's sounding forgiving to you, it's probably just more accurately reproducing a good singer. :)

As for being lazy, I don't equate lazy to being used to good equipment-though it does make you have to work a lot less.

• Members

I have the SM86 small diaphragm condenser, and I love it! :love:

Yes, it's forgiving. But then, I need a lot of forgiveness. :facepalm:

I like these condenser mics a lot, and I would never go back to using an SM57. But, you know, I just read that Bono recorded his vocals on the new U2 album almost entirely through an SM57, so go figure....

• Members

I have the SM86 small diaphragm condenser, and I love it!
:love:

Yes, it's forgiving. But then, I need a lot of forgiveness.
:facepalm:

I like these condenser mics a lot, and I would never go back to using an SM57. But, you know, I just read that Bono recorded his vocals on the new U2 album almost entirely through an SM57, so go figure....

I use a beta 58, but someone recentley set me up with a plain ol' sm57 at a jam night, and it really got the low end warmth I have been looking for.... I was the same.....like "go figure".

• Members

I have the 87A and love it. I've had sound guys call it a "chick mic" but it works really well for my typically deep, soft voice. It's also a decent recording microphone as well. But the 58 or the Beta 58 is probably the gold standard.

• Members

Anyone tried a Audio-Technica ATM710? Any others? I just bought a SM57beta for a vocal mike and I like it better than 'ye olde SM58' but I am getting up in years and 'ye olde vocal cords' are road worn and even though I work on vocal excercises, I just can't project as well as I used to. I'm thinking a condensor designed for stage/vocal/road use might just be the answer. (????)

Archived