First trip to Guitar Center in about 4 years.

SimsburyKid

• Members

and boy was it bad. I went there to look for 3 guitars that I did online research on and they don't have either of them but that wasn't the problem. There were so many nice basses and guitars but they were so unplayable due to terrible action and very un-tuned.

I always wanted to try out a Geddy Lee Fender J and today was the day, but the action was soooo high. It hurt me. I wish there was a store nearby where they take pride in the instruments they sell.

I'm totally GASing over this Parker guitar that has the thinest neck ever, it's so unbelievable. Over $2,000 though.

But I met this cool bass player who was playing a nice Schecter bass with a sexy orange neck and shiny fret wire.

Never going to GC ever again.

• Members

I'm assuming you went to the one in Manchester? That's one of the better GC's I've been to...and I've been to a lot. I'm not saying it's great, but it's the 2nd best music store in the state. ANy of the other GC's really suck in this state. If you went to Orange...I'm sorry.

Do you consider New Haven to be nearby? G Guitars...they take a very high pride in the instruments they sell.

Shiny fret wire? Just about every instrument with frets has shiny fret wire. Unless it's got some mojo on it.

• Members

Oh no man these wires were SHINY, I think it might be called diamond fret wires, I may be mistaken. I never heard of G Guitars and yes I went to the Manchester one because I thought that was the only one in CT. Guess I'm wrong.

The only thing I like about GC is the people that work their are pretty cool. That place used to be a lot better.

• Members

I think goin to Guitar Center is kinda like goin to Wal-Mart.

Bunch of dipsticks working @ the one in Tulsa.

I went there today to get a P Bass nut.

The guy behind the counter finds a Graph-tech nut and says it is the right one.

Later @ home I noticed it looked a bit small, so I measured it. (slightly over 1.5"):mad:

Looking @ my receipt it says J BASS NUT!

Oh well I'll keep it for my J.

• Members

I went to the local one a few weeks ago and saw that they had a new ATK in. I was excited because I've always wanted to try one. As soon as I picked it up to play, I was extremely disappointed, not because of the weight or anything, but the strings were actually sitting on the frets, and not because it was out of tune, it was because it had a piss poor setup. I told one of the nearby drones that I tired it and it was unplayable as it was, and he kinda just shrugged it off as if it didn't really matter. :freak:

I'm not a big fan of GC, but sadly, their service is just about on par with every mom and pop store around these parts. :(

• Members

Last week I went to the local GC to try a MM Stingray and see what all the fuss is about from you jokers on this board. Same story as above. Setup was poor, action was way high and the neck was frighteningly bowed. Also it had fingerprints and smudges all over it. Then I tried a Gibson SG bass and its short little neck was bowed, too. By then I figured maybe it was me so I went home to check the trusty JB Special and its neck is straight as an arrow with nice low action. I'm not saying I'll never buy anything from GC, but mainly I use them to get a feel for things before I buy them elsewhere.

• Members

All of the small shops I have been to have guitars and basses that are setup nicely. I can see past a bad setup, if you can't you should try the smaller stores. With the volume GC goes thru they cannot do a pro setup on every instrument they sell. They also cannot pay to have the most knowledgeable staff. These things will increase cost and prices will go up.

Smaller stores usually have a better staff(on average) and the ones I go to setup most of their inventory as it goes to the floor. They have higher prices and more customer oriented service.

I am not ripping on GC, I like GC. They have a large selection, nice pricing and I haven't had a problem with service.

• Members

All of the small shops I have been to have guitars and basses that are setup nicely. I can see past a bad setup, if you can't you should try the smaller stores. With the volume GC goes thru they cannot do a pro setup on every instrument they sell. They also cannot pay to have the most knowledgeable staff. These things will increase cost and prices will go up.

Smaller stores usually have a better staff(on average) and the ones I go to setup most of their inventory as it goes to the floor. They have higher prices and more customer oriented service.

I am not ripping on GC, I like GC. They have a large selection, nice pricing and I haven't had a problem with service.

They may not be able to do a full setup on every floor model, but they definitely have the time and resources in place to do basic neck adjustments on every instrument they have. The problem is that they simply don't at most locations.

• Members

I always wanted to try out a Geddy Lee Fender J and today was the day, but the action was soooo high. It hurt me. I wish there was a store nearby where they take pride in the instruments they sell.

That's because everyone can play everything. You yourself took advantage of the petting zoo so you should understand what happens to instruments when it's a free for all.

• Members

They may not be able to do a full setup on every floor model, but they definitely have the time and resources in place to do basic neck adjustments on every instrument they have. The problem is that they simply don't at most locations.

It is better if they left the instruments alone. A little knowledge can be dangerous.

• Members

I don't know where in CT. you are located but I deal quite a bit with Andy at
www.alphaaudioworks.com
great place to buy gear from.

Yuck! They have nothing in stock at all. It's like a beginners store with a few nice guitars. Now...along the same lines (I95), Juniors Music in Clinton was great...too bad it burned to the ground. Ron's Guitars is pretty sweet too...in Groton.

• Members

Yuck! They have nothing in stock at all. It's like a beginners store with a few nice guitars. Now...along the same lines (I95), Juniors Music in Clinton was great...too bad it burned to the ground. Ron's Guitars is pretty sweet too...in Groton.

When I was in New London, I'd always go to Ron's. Good, helpful staff and a nice selection. I avoided Caruso's in New London. Worst music store in CT, hands down. I did a lot of business with the GC in Orange with a college organization (PA and live sound stuff), so they usually treated me pretty well. Never went bass shopping though.

Ever check out gguitars in New Haven? I felt like I was in a museum. I didn't want to touch anything, for fear of breaking it. It's one of those stores where you make an appointment to buy stuff.

Archived