Joining a second band

no-logic

• Members

I may have an opportunity to join a second band. What would be the best way to handle this with my current band? Should I play with the second band for a while and see how it works out before telling the current band I have a second project going? Or should I just come out and tell them what I may be doing?

• Members

It's not really their business unless it gets in the way of gigs or rehearsals. I wouldn't go out of my way to hide it but I wouldn't exactly advertise it either. Bottom line, they need to act like professionals and deal with it in the same way that you would for them.

• Members

I may have an opportunity to join a second band. What would be the best way to handle this with my current band? Should I play with the second band for a while and see how it works out before telling the current band I have a second project going? Or should I just come out and tell them what I may be doing?

Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy... I *usually* play in more than one band, and work out the arrangement right up front...

If you're serious about the 1st band, I'd tell them what I was considering, and make a commitment to them that the 2nd band won't interfer in ANY way with the 1st band - they *shouldn't* have any problems with agreeing to that...

All this depends on how important the 1st band is to you, and if you can actually fit it all in - I would still always be up front with all parties involved, no matter what...

- georgestrings

• Members

It's not really their business unless it gets in the way of gigs or rehearsals. I wouldn't go out of my way to hide it but I wouldn't exactly advertise it either. Bottom line, they need to act like professionals and deal with it in the same way that you would for them.

I don't agree with this, as I put myself in their shoes - if you're committed to their band, involvement in a side project is a tiny bit their business... Also, by not coming right out with it, it *could* be mistaken for being sneaky... I'll temper this by agreeing that they DO need to act like professionals, and it shouldn't be that big a deal to work out such a situation...

- georgestrings

• Members

I don't agree with this, as I put myself in their shoes - if you're committed to their band, involvement in a side project is a tiny bit their business... Also, by not coming right out with it, it *could* be mistaken for being sneaky... I'll temper this by agreeing that they DO need to act like professionals, and it shouldn't be that big a deal to work out such a situation...

- georgestrings

I play with quite a few people and, when I walk into a new situation, I make it clear that they're not going to have exclusive rights to me. Over the years, I've noticed that there's a direct correlation between how professional someone is and their attitude towards wanting an exclusive commitment. Most of the best players with whom I've played didn't have any one band that they were committed to.

• Members

If band two doesn't affect band 1, then there's no need to tell them anything. If band two becomes more important/profitable than band 1, then it's time for a chat. If band 1 will always be more important than band 2, then make sure band 2 doesn't interfere. No one should have any issues as long as they're grown-ups, and realize their band is not affected.

• Members

I was upfront with both bands when I was in two. Since one band was more important to me than the other, I made it clear to both where my priorities were. It worked out just fine.

We're currently auditioning lead guitarists now and one of the requirements for being offered a spot with us is that our band become their #1 if they have more than one going on. If they won't commit, they will not be in our band.

• Members

Our drummer is in another band also and he told us what he was doing right away. There was some concern but it hasn't interferred at all. I think I will go play with the second band and see if it has potential before I say anything. I mean why tell them when it may not amount to anything anyway.

• Members

I mean why tell them when it may not amount to anything anyway.

Because it gives the appearance of doing something behind their backs - which sometimes will lead people to think that you're planning on leaving their project... Any way you slice it, being upfront is never a bad thing... Look at it this way - the very people who *might* pitch a bitch over being told upfront about a side project are REALLY going to have a hissy fit if/when they find out about it 2nd hand - why even go there???

- georgestrings

• Members

I play with quite a few people and, when I walk into a new situation, I make it clear that they're not going to have exclusive rights to me. Over the years, I've noticed that there's a direct correlation between how professional someone is and their attitude towards wanting an exclusive commitment. Most of the best players with whom I've played didn't have any one band that they were committed to.

Agreed... the only time I've allowed myself to be locked into exclusivity was when the opportunity was quite lucrative, and it was a condition of taking the gig...

- georgestrings

• Members

I was faced with this about 6 month ago when I joined my second band and was upfront about it with my current band. They had no problems with it whatsoever and in fact my guitard strongly encouraged me to do it.

So far everything has worked out fine and no-one has found this move to their detriment. It has actually been to both bands benefit as they can both enjoy my brilliant bass-playing (coff! coff!!) and we network well for gigs and share oppotunites.

I recommend be honest and upfront about it and promote the benefits that it can bring to both bands.

• Members

There are many way to look at this.

I am older so when I was in bands "back in the day," you were usually in THAT band.

Nowadays, people tend to be in different bands and "projects" and I feel it dilutes the "mystique" of a band. Unless you are just a faceless back up person, then maybe it's ok to be a mercinary.

I am not trying to be contentious, it is just that I am curious about the need to play in different bands. I mean, is the first band not a satisfying experience? Not enough money? Then just say it, "I am going to play in another band to get musical fulfillment." or "I need to make more money, so I am playing with another band." But why hide it? It will come up, right? When they see you in a club playing with the other band, or you have to back out of a gig because the second band has a gig that night.

I know things are different today but the commitment to a band is a big thing, and I am facing that too, and my band members are in other groups. Having said that, the truth is, none of them then are real serious bands, since any one member may just follow when another band starts to get some success.

Was Gene Simmons in different bands? Was Paul McCartney in different bands? Was John Entwistle in different bands?

I suppose I am posing a question more than anything, rather than saying what you should do. But be honest and just say what you are doing. Are other members of your first band in other bands? That will give you a clue as to how they will handle it!

• Members

There are many way to look at this.

I am older so when I was in bands "back in the day," you were usually in THAT band.

Nowadays, people tend to be in different bands and "projects" and I feel it dilutes the "mystique" of a band. Unless you are just a faceless back up person, then maybe it's ok to be a mercinary.

I am not trying to be contentious, it is just that I am curious about the need to play in different bands. I mean, is the first band not a satisfying experience? Not enough money? Then just say it, "I am going to play in another band to get musical fulfillment." or "I need to make more money, so I am playing with another band." But why hide it? It will come up, right? When they see you in a club playing with the other band, or you have to back out of a gig because the second band has a gig that night.

I know things are different today but the commitment to a band is a big thing, and I am facing that too, and my band members are in other groups. Having said that, the truth is, none of them then are real serious bands, since any one member may just follow when another band starts to get some success.

Was Gene Simmons in different bands? Was Paul McCartney in different bands? Was John Entwistle in different bands?

I suppose I am posing a question more than anything, rather than saying what you should do. But be honest and just say what you are doing. Are other members of your first band in other bands? That will give you a clue as to how they will handle it!

Put quite simply - I love playing live and my current band wasn't playing live often enough to fill my attention whoring void! :p

In all seriousness though I do love playing live. (Who doesn't?) But the other side to it is that I find playing with other different musicians helps improve me as a musician & Bassplayer. I think in the past 3 years I was going a bit stagnant as a player just turning up and playing with the same band week in week out. Sure we'd work on new stuff but it starts getting a certain flavour to it unique to that band and struggles at times to diversify.

Since joining the new band, I reckon I'm now playing the best bass of my life and have more enthusiasm for writing new songs with both bands. It's also adding some new flavours to both bands as I'm listening to more different music and this in turn is creating some new exciting influences in how I play and write.

No negatives and I guess at this stage we haven't blown out any gigs because one of the others already has a gig. In fact we've organised in some cases to play both bands on the same bill.

• Members

Put quite simply - I love playing live and my current band wasn't playing live often enough to fill my attention whoring void!
:p

In all seriousness though I do love playing live. (Who doesn't?) But the other side to it is that I find playing with other different musicians helps improve me as a musician & Bassplayer. I think in the past 3 years I was going a bit stagnant as a player just turning up and playing with the same band week in week out. Sure we'd work on new stuff but it starts getting a certain flavour to it unique to that band and struggles at times to diversify.

Since joining the new band, I reckon I'm now playing the best bass of my life and have more enthusiasm for writing new songs with both bands. It's also adding some new flavours to both bands as I'm listening to more different music and this in turn is creating some new exciting influences in how I play and write.

No negatives and I guess at this stage we haven't blown out any gigs because one of the others already has a gig. In fact we've organised in some cases to play both bands on the same bill.

Well, there ya go! You have a reason, and you told your band right?

I think it is just best to say what your doing and why. Me? I play bass in my band and get bass playing fulfillment from that. I do other things, like singer songwriter, but I play guitar and do that, or I play guitar and sing for my family's folk music group.

Depends on your needs. As long as you can swing it there should be no problem.

• Members

I usually play in more than 1 band, because I like to gig every weekend - and although musically quite talented, my main band hasn't yet built up enough of a following to sustain quality gigs that frequently - although I could see that possibly happening this year, sometime... Also, although our songlist is over 50 songs, I get bored playing the same stuff all the time - so side projects give me fresh stuff to work on... I suppose if/when we start writing, that *might* curtail the desire for "something on the side" - 'til that time, the side project keeps me from pushing the members of my main band too hard, and possibly causing problems there... and yeah, all parties involved know why I'm doing what I am...

- georgestrings

• Members

I play weddings for money. I play in a Beatles cover band because it's fun and I like the guys I play with. I play with many other people because they're my friends and I do it for love.

I think there's definitely a place for the "my band is like a marriage", and I've been in those. But not since I've hit middle age. I just don't take it that seriously any more. Not that I don't care - but I mean, I'm not going to play with players who aren't at a certain level of ability unless they're my friends. The wedding band, we have never rehearsed, ever. Our leader gives us the tunes, I track down a recording or write myself a chart, and we go play, the end. Those players are all REALLY good - rehearsing gets us what? They all execute flawlessly. All that matters in that circumstance is the chart, so we know what the arrangement is. Plus there's a lot of non-verbal communicating, too - hand signals, nodding, cuing with your instrument - to signal that we're coming to the end or whatever.

The Beatles thing is just fun, usually we practice once a week for a couple of hours when we have a gig coming up.

The other things - usually arrangements and all that develop organically, though we may or may not run through a few songs before playing them in front of people.

I mean, I just don't have that kind-of intense committment thing to a band at this point. I don't care if other people I play with do other things, good for them - it's work, it helps them stay sharp, and it's fun to go see my friends play. I've always been able to juggle all that stuff, and I very rarely have conflicts. Everyone knows I do lots of different things, and that I work it out - in the rare instances when I have a conflict, if it's possible to change a date, I'll do it; if I can't, I get a sub (mainly that's for the wedding band, what I do in the Beatles thing is kind-of too much to ask someone to sit in with, I do a lot of the singing too). But I don't think I've had a conflict in like six years.

• Members

having dealt with this myself, both my being in a second band, and a member of one of my bands being in a second band, i would say come right out and tell them. tell them why you're doing it, let them know where your priorities lie (which band is your main focus, which isn't).

don't let rehearsals clash.

whichever band books the gig first gets the gig. the other will have to adjust around the first.

it can be done, but it gets tricky at times.

• Members

It's a good thing. you will play with other guys, different songs, perhaps different styles ?

And you can invite crowd of one band to gig with the other. :thu:

My guitard plays in a big band, 24 musicians which are playing with parts, very strictly. Since he plays with them, he has really improved his rythmic level and we share the benefits. :thu:

You just have to be clear with the two bands, define your priorities and enjoy !!!

I play in a jazzfunk band, and i hope on day play in a metal band with my son in law which is a angry guitard :evil:

• Members
Wow, you went from wanting to retire to joining a second band in a span of two months! What kind of stuff is this new band doing?

I know that seems weird but I feel too much pressure with my regular band, which caused my first reaction to retire. I thought if I could hook up with a group that is laid back and less demanding that I might actually jump ship. But I don

Archived