Hartke heads through NON-Hartke cabs.... anyone?

PintoMusic

• Members

I'm sure that you're Avatar will sound fine with it. Of course their stuff is designed to go together, but by no means is there a rule saying you can;t use something else.

Very few of us actually run the same manufacturer for heads & cabs. I have Aggie cabs...and an Aggie head, but I usually run them with a GK or Mesa.

• Members

i really dont like Hartke gear.... but it should sound good... just make sure you EQ it right...

Actually, that's the one thing I dislike about this Hartke... the EQ.

I was always under the impression that a fundamentally good sounding amp shouldn't need a 10-band EQ. Plus I'm always worried that I'll find the ULTIMATE setting and some clown will screw with the sliders and I'll spend days getting it back.

I was willing to take the risk for the price though... :-)

• Members

I was always under the impression that a fundamentally good sounding amp shouldn't need a 10-band EQ. Plus I'm always worried that I'll find the ULTIMATE setting and some clown will screw with the sliders and I'll spend days getting it back.

My Mesa has a great fundamentally good sound to it...and it has a separate 10 band EQ for each channel. I don't use it, but it's there.

Once you get your sound, you'll know where they are. Unless it's a really weird amp, give me 30 seconds, and I'll be well on my way to having my tone from any amp. I know where all of the levels are for the most part...

• Members

Actually, that's the one thing I dislike about this Hartke... the EQ.

I was willing to take the risk for the price though... :-)

dont you have a switch to turn off the graphic EQ?? that sucks ass......

but, remember that, when using the EQ, you should make any massive changes on a knob --- take your time and make only slight changes, roll them up, down, so you know in what way each one affects your sound...

• Members

dont you have a switch to turn off the graphic EQ??

Yeah, I can switch the EQ out... it also has this bizarre-sounding compressor that I expect will spend most of its life switched off.

When I finally hook it up to my cab, I'm basically going to see if I can get the best sound possible by keeping the EQ off, blending the two gain knobs and messing with the high/low-pass knobs.

Then my next order of business is finding a way to get rid of that awful Hartke logo on the headshell - it's almost as bad as the 80's Peavey logo. sick.gif

• Members

I used a Hartke 3500 head with a Peavy 115 and 410 for quite a few years. The sound is ............well............mine and I have had absolutely no problem with the head from day one.

Are there better heads?...probably! but for the money I think I got more than what I paid for.

PD

• Members

That 10-band can be useful for adjusting to room acoustics when you're not going through a PA.

That's pretty much what I'm hoping I can use it for.

I'm just really looking forward to playing it through my 212. To offer some background info, my main bass is nothing fancy... a stock Yamaha BBG5S.

I'm currently in this hard-rock band, but I also pick up a few gigs backing up this acoustic delta-blues guy, and another modern R&B singer.

I also write my own stuff outside those projects but I only play bass on recordings and get a *real* bassist to back me live (so I can play guitar and keys) so I don't really need the Hartke to deliver so much on my own material.

Thanks for all the advice and comments so far... I think I like it here. :cool:

• Members

buddy of mine has been using a carvin 3500 into a pair of custom built cabs loaded with carvin speakers, a 115 and 410. He's been running that rig for YEARS, in gigs of various sizes ranging from small shows at the eagles, to opening for Ted Nugent

• Members

Had a Hartke HA3500 running through a Fender 410 bassman for a while. I really liked the tone. My rack was then stolen when our van got broken into. I bought that head for 150 bucks and would but another if I could find one for under 200. I was just using a HA2000 today actually through an EBS 410. Sounded decent but needed more power. The HA2000 is only like 180 watts or something at 8ohms.

• Members

I like the Hartke kickback combos, they sound really good to me but I didn't like the 410 combo thing.

I played a Trace through a Hartke cab, then a Marshall cab, and my cheaper Peavey smokes 'em both.

They are good enough for Stu Hamm tho', well... they were until he moved to Peavey.

• Members

A lot of people talk about the HA3500 version.

Is the HA5500 not very popular?

I think the HA3500 might have been a more bang for the buck head. Most people would probably get something better for the money youd spend on the HA5500 which about 600 new.

I bought my HA3500 for 150 used. It was mint minus a broken preamp potentiometer that Hartke was nice enough to send FREE of charge. Great customer service if you ask me.

• Members

Try and find a 7000. 2x350wts RMS.Great EQ and contor controls, choice of tube or ss pre amp,mine is 8 years old never missed a beat.Currently using a Harke 4x10 and a JBL sub,and I have used it thru all sorts of cabs with no problems

• Members

I have a 5500 going into 2 Avatar cabs! One word........Thunderous! Hartke cabs are the weak point of the brand. Hopefully their new cabs and heads will dispel all the Hartke hate! I agree, I can't stand EQ sections on amps! I keep mine off and never use it. I like their new amps with just bass, mid and treble knobs.

• Members

So I got to test the HA5500 out with my Avatar B212 cabinet.

This head is loud... stupid loud... my cab is rated at 1000W @ 4-ohms and I was afraid I'd destroy it.

It's also clean... embarassingly clean... all it did was remind me how much I suck. tired.gif

I couldn't dial in any overdrive... even with the preamps dimed... so I might have to get a SansAmp Bass DI or use my Boss SD-1 to get a little grind into this amp.

What I was relieved to discover is that it didn't have to sound as bright and ringy as the demos I've seen online with guys like Stu Hamm and Les July. That could also have to do with the muddy stock pick-ups on my Yamaha BBG5S.

It also don't look too bad matched to the Avatar cab:

n121101603_30450475_1106.jpg

Archived