mxr m-80, whos got one? tone question inside

dDigitalPimp

• Members

i bought a m-80 bass di+ a while ago and it came with a broken switch. switch came today and i swapped the bad one out with my super awesome soldering skills. had the DI at band practice tonight instead of an amp. let me tell you that i LOVE going direct to 1000 watts of sound into 2 15" sampson powered speakers. it beats the hell out of my ashdown eb 12-180.

anyway, i only got to mess around with it for about 20 min before practice and didnt really use the disto channel on it at all yet. just the direct thru and the "effect" side with the color button down and some minor EQing.

i want to get a nice tube(like) distortion grit with the disto channel and was wondering if anyone used one of these DI boxes what do they have the effect EQ set at as well as the distortion settings.

here is a shot of the DI for those who have not seen one. it rocks.

1153456817_MXR_BASS_DI_M80_463x342.jpg

• Members

i bought a m-80 bass di+ a while ago and it came with a broken switch. switch came today and i swapped the bad one out with my super awesome soldering skills. had the DI at band practice tonight instead of an amp. let me tell you that i LOVE going direct to 1000 watts of sound into 2 15" sampson powered speakers. it beats the hell out of my ashdown eb 12-180.

anyway, i only got to mess around with it for about 20 min before practice and didnt really use the disto channel on it at all yet. just the direct thru and the "effect" side with the color button down and some minor EQing.

i want to get a nice tube(like) distortion grit with the disto channel and was wondering if anyone used one of these DI boxes what do they have the effect EQ set at as well as the distortion settings.

This was one of the options I sampled in my "perfect distortion/overdrive/fuzz" search. It is better than most distortion boxes, but it still draws out a decent amount of the low end. I'm curious if you feel the same after you try it.

• Members

This was one of the options I sampled in my "perfect distortion/overdrive/fuzz" search. It is better than most distortion boxes, but it still draws out a decent amount of the low end. I'm curious if you feel the same after you try it.

i agree 100% about the disto lacking the bottom. all i was looking for was a decent DI box and this one came up in the for sale section of the HCMB. i bought it for $75 without ever playing one. i was very suprised with the color switch on the effect channel and how much it made my highway one p bass come alive with the effect channel turned on. i would assume that you would have to turn up the bass a whole lot on the effect channel to get a good bottom out of the disto. either way, all i wanted was to be able to not have to drag my amp downstairs, into the car and down to our singers basement every friday then back into my guitar room after a bunch of beers at practice. it more than served that purpose but i didnt really find a distortion setting i liked in the minimal amount of time i had to mess with it.

• Members

Hi,

I'm not a bassplayer (i hang out in the amp/git section most of the time).

The drummer in my band owns/runs an recording studio and he's very courious about this DI bass box instead of a Bass POD. He told he would pair it up with with my MXR 10band EQ if he buy one. This is kind of an expensive solution to get some more low ends but it sounds fantastic in front of my guitar amp (Savage 120) and in the loop of it, very usefull piece of gear. You don't need to buy the MXR 10 band you can try just 6 band EQ (fish and chips from danelectro) or some (boss) product.

Tell me what you guys think of the idea?

D

• Members

The balanced output of a DI like an M-80 or any Sansamp is not the same as a line level signal that is needed to drive a power amp.

Try running a power amp off of a DI, then put a mixer between the two. The difference in output is tremendous.

As for the M-80 sucking low end when used as a distortion pedal, it absolutely does. The easy fix for DI fans is here.

Archived