Would it be a bad idea...

REMUS

• Members

there were some on ebay some time ago..

and you can buy them direct for a considerable sum

i feel a preamp would do justice to any un stock well made pups and the ric idea could be a loss measure considering the ric is a through neck made from maple

but it sounds appealling

• Members

I think you could remove the coil from that housing.

They don't seem to be bigger than J pups, sans housing.

This is true, I guess I would have to take the plunge and see what can be done with them.

To me, spunking $1000 on a custom bass with an unsure outcome, is a far more enticing prospect... than $1700+ on a used Ric, they cost

• Moderators

At the very least it would be unique. Which means if you don't like the sound of it, you could sell it for some ridiculous price on eBay.

Usually the exact opposite.

Remus, I am building a Peavey with Ric pickups before too long for mlwarriner. I'll let you know how it turns out.

• Members

Usually the exact opposite.

Remus, I am building a Peavey with Ric pickups before too long for mlwarriner. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I would of liked to offer you the work if you wanted it, but most of my parts are coming from Europe.. inc a custom neck.

It sounds like the projects will be running side by side, since i'm hoping to start mine in around 2 weeks?

• Moderators

I would of liked to offer you the work if you wanted it, but most of my parts are coming from Europe.. inc a custom neck.

It sounds like the projects will be running side by side, since i'm hoping to start mine in around 2 weeks?

Who knows. I'm still waiting on a bridge. :poke:

• Members

I vote go for it, it would certainly be a unique and cool bass.

One thing though, I read a long time ago about someone who did a similar thing with the pickups from another maple body and neck bass, a Victory. Who ever it was found out the pickups were designed to work with that all maple brightness, and as such sounded very dark with too little clarity when used in a non-maple bass. Ric pups may be similar in that they might sound a little darker than you'd expect in a non Ric body, or a bass that's not as bright as an all maple bass. It would be worth trying though, and I'd love to hear the outcome.

Archived