Bi-sonic/Dark Star ?

Cpt. Spliff

• Members

I've always been on the plug-and-play side, but in the short while I've been on this forum, I've come to respect the knowledge shared here a lot.

Jack Casady, a house-god, used to have a Starfire with Hagstrom Bi-sonic pups. Phil Lesh used those pups as well, but I've been told that they were all modified by The (Alembic) Bear ?

Hagstrom of Sweden stopped the production of those pups in 1970, but recently (?) Dark Stars have come on the market, build on the specs of the Bi-sonics. I believe some Laklands have them.

I've never heard them, and my question is, how they compare to the old Bi-sonics and the modified (?) ones ?

Having left (family-matters) the extremely unknown Cpt. Spiff (hence my user-name. Pun intended.) and climbing the walls I'm reviving the project of having a bass build with a J-body, P-neck, rosewood board and a couple of Dark Stars. (Did somebody shout Allman Bros.?).

I'm leaning towards ash for the body, but would the Dark Stars be better suited to another, harder wood ?

Any opinions on maybe pairing a DS with a J at the bridge ?

Or other ?

PS.: Before GG asks, it's strictly for soloing these days :)

PPS.: Today's a gift. That's why it's called the present.

Archived