Limiters and Wiring

pntslsm

• Members

I'll quialify myself first as a beginning bass player.

I have a Squier P Bass Special and I have added Dimarzio pups, a Gotoh bridge, GHS Bass Boomer strings and CTS volume pots. The cavity is to small to put in the CTS tone pot so the original one is still in place.

Question #1 As I was changing the pups and pots, I have become pretty familiar with the wiring. I'm always wanting to changes things as you can tell, but the wires are VERY small in there. I'd say probable 30 guage. I can't do anything about the wires coming from the pups, but there are several "jumper" wires, connecting different things back there. Would it make a difference if I changed out the wiring for a heavier guage wire, say 22 guage?

Question #2 Are the wires soldered on the backs of the pots simply "soldered on the back of the pots"? In other words, no connectors to solder to like the three little connectors on the sides of the pots? Are there any techniques you can share, it's pretty hard to get the back hot enough to get the solder to stick.

Question #3 Different subject. When I am playing, especially with the new pups, when I reach midway up the neck, higher notes, the volume is much louder than the lower notes. Is that what a limiter is for, to even out those highs and lows?

Any and all advise will be appreciated.

• Members

Question #1 30 gauge? That's really tiny. I was either 24 or 22 for most of my work. I'm not sure how much of a difference it will get you though. Usually, I use skinnier stuff because it's more flexible. I don't a sound difference for passive stuff like that...but others may chime in and say otherwise.

Question #2 Yup...just soldered on the back. I have an adjustable iron, so heating them up isn't too much of a problem for me...but it can be tricky. Just make sure you don't keep the heat on too long so you don't damage the pot.

Question #3 It sounds more like you need a proper setup on your bass. When you're going higher up the neck, you're pushing the strings closer to the pickups. Just make sure the pickup heights are correct first.

A compressor would be a better choice than a limiter IMO. Keep in mind you get what you pay for with them. If you want a pedal...look no further than the Demeter Opto Compulator or the EBS Multicomp...they are the best.

Archived