AMPEG svt III

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

You probably won't have a lot of headroom with that cab, but I had an svt-III and I liked it better than the 3Pro. The price is right if the pre amp tubes are good.

Well I dunno. is 50 watts cutting it too close to being noticably underpowered? I most definately do not want to blow the cab. Would it be worth dealing with that, or would you all recommend waiting for something with more power?

• Members

Well I dunno. is 50 watts cutting it too close to being noticably underpowered? I most definately do not want to blow the cab. Would it be worth dealing with that, or would you all recommend waiting for something with more power?

It will work fine unless you're extremely loud. Of course, if you weren't you wouldn't be using an 8x10.;)

• Members

It will work fine unless you're extremely loud. Of course, if you weren't you wouldn't be using an 8x10.
;)

I resent that remark.:p

I guess that it would make sense to get it becuase

1) my current head is 350w and works decent.

2) my current head is falling apart

3) I could probably sell my current head for about the price of this thing, and if I need to upgrade, then so be it, I shouldn't be out too much money.

• Members

I resent that remark.
:p

I guess that it would make sense to get it becuase

1) my current head is 350w and works decent.

2) my current head is falling apart

3) I could probably sell my current head for about the price of this thing, and if I need to upgrade, then so be it, I shouldn't be out too much money.

It's a good amp, typical Ampeg- heavey, durable, reliable, three tubes in the preamp section, so you could be out a few more bucks if they need replacing. They date to the early/mid 90's if I recall just before the 3Pro came out. I sold mine for $350 with new tubes in it. Even if you get something else later you'd have a bulletproof backup. What's your current head?

• Members

It's a good amp, typical Ampeg- heavey, durable, reliable, three tubes in the preamp section, so you could be out a few more bucks if they need replacing. They date to the early/mid 90's if I recall just before the 3Pro came out. I sold mine for $350 with new tubes in it. Even if you get something else later you'd have a bulletproof backup. What's your current head?

GK 700 RB III (I think its III). But it has a few problems, and I figure I could sell it for the same $250.

Anybody know what I should be looking for when I check out the tubes/check the tubes? (the guy did not know that it had a tube pre)

• Members

You would wanna have an amp that would put in 1.5 to 2 times that cabs RMS.

Its not about blowing the cab but as mention its about headroom. Your simple not driving that cab at all.

So get a head thats rated at putting out around 400-600w @4ohms. Would get the air moving and a better overall sound.

• Members

Headroom is exactly that.

Say if you have a 300w bass combo and you jamming and you can not hear yourself, so you crank it up and everything gets distorted etc, you've run out of headroom. Where if your bass combo went up to 600w then you can cruise at 400w and still have that extra headroom.

Having headroom is needed in every aspect of live music, from bass amp to pa..

• Members

I follow. Maybe I should look at a different amp then

That head should be fine for anything short of an arena. Maybe you should look at a different cab. There are lots of modern cabs that will do the job at least as well at less than half of the weight. The onlt reason you need an 8x10 is for visual effect.

• Members

Well according to Ampeg, the SVT3 kicks out 450w @ 4ohms. So it is good enough to power the cab alright.

There are tons of alternative heads alright. Already mentioned is the GK stuff.

Its just that you might find that you lacking the power to get the most from you cab. Nothing worse than buying something and then noticing you should have got something more powerfull.

What's the prices on the SVT4??

I will be getting the SVT4 running it into a single 15" cab. I'd never get the SVT4 up to full whack as the cab would blow before then. But its the head room and options that make it a good buy for me.

• Members

Funny as it may seem, I've liked the SVTIV better. If your looking for bang for buck, look at the GK1001RB for plenty of headroom.

Funny, the reason I am lookin is because I am thuroughly unhappy with my GK 700 RB. (not that GK is bad, but I got a dud used, and tried to get it fixed, but still the same crap.)

The reason I am looking at this is cuz it popped up at a pretty good price.

• Members

That head should be fine for anything short of an arena. Maybe you should look at a different cab. There are lots of modern cabs that will do the job at least as well at less than half of the weight. The onlt reason you need an 8x10 is for visual effect.

Yeah, I know... its a pain in the ass to haul around. I got it because it was cheap, and I needed a cab, and I happened to come across it (kinda like this head:idea:)

• Members

Funny, the reason I am lookin is because I am thuroughly unhappy with my GK 700 RB. (not that GK is bad, but I got a dud used, and tried to get it fixed, but still the same crap.)

The reason I am looking at this is cuz it popped up at a pretty good price.

You know, it'd only take a few gigs(re. a couple months of gigs) to buy a new one w/warranty. Put it on your credit card. Pay it off early w/gig $$$. Supercharge your credit rating.

• Members

You know, it'd only take a few gigs(re. a couple months of gigs) to buy a new one w/warranty. Put it on your credit card. Pay it off early w/gig $$$. Supercharge your credit rating.

Problem is... getting a good paying gig... or just getting a gig at the moment.:cry:

I would blow my yearly bonus on one, but I am doing that on some tatoo's... maybe

EDIT:

Keep forgetting about the fact that I need credit, because as of last year I was non existant in that region

• Members

Forgive me for being a dumbass, but what exactly is head room?

You'd figure that after being here for almost 6 years that I would have picked up something useful
:idk:

Headroom is having extra power on the amp side so, that for a given volume, you're a greater distance from clipping the power section.

In practical terms, you don't have to turn the amp up as much to get the same volume, and you don't push your equipment as hard as a result.

Depending on your volume needs, you might be pushing the SVT-III pretty hard with that cab. Then again, you might not.

Test it before you lay out the cash.

• Members

Well according to Ampeg, the SVT3 kicks out 450w @ 4ohms. So it is good enough to power the cab alright.

There are tons of alternative heads alright. Already mentioned is the GK stuff.

Its just that you might find that you lacking the power to get the most from you cab. Nothing worse than buying something and then noticing you should have got something more powerfull.

What's the prices on the SVT4??

I will be getting the SVT4 running it into a single 15" cab. I'd never get the SVT4 up to full whack as the cab would blow before then. But its the head room and options that make it a good buy for me.

SVT 3 is a different amp than the SVT-III.

• Members

funnily enough thats what i was thinking when i 1st read the tread. I can only use the ampeg site as reference.

Is it just a discontinued model?

Yes, I THINK it was the direct ancestor of the SVT3 PRO. I used one for a couple of years. Good solid amp, I thought it "played bigger" than 350W.

Archived