Wiring problems

moody

• Members

I have a friends Jazz Bass (squire) which I need to have functioning very very soon (tomorrow afternoon) I've rewired it with new pots, new wire etc. to the standard schematic on the seymour duncan website. I've checked and re-checked my wiring.

I am getting some rather problematic results. Both volume controls are reasonably linear until they reach the end of their travel and then they double in volume in the last tiny bit. The volume is enough to be distorting and peaking the inputs of a bass amp that I usually use with active basses without problem.

Has anyone got any ideas on what I've done wrong with the wiring. All the pots are logarithmic 250k as specified and the tone pot and capacitor are working fine.

I have tried swapping the positive and negative wires on the pickups but that doesn't appear to change anything.

• Members

I have a friends Jazz Bass (squire) which I need to have functioning very very soon (tomorrow afternoon) I've rewired it with new pots, new wire etc. to the standard schematic on the seymour duncan website. I've checked and re-checked my wiring.

I am getting some rather problematic results. Both volume controls are reasonably linear until they reach the end of their travel and then they double in volume in the last tiny bit. The volume is enough to be distorting and peaking the inputs of a bass amp that I usually use with active basses without problem.

Has anyone got any ideas on what I've done wrong with the wiring. All the pots are logarithmic 250k as specified and the tone pot and capacitor are working fine.

I have tried swapping the positive and negative wires on the pickups but that doesn't appear to change anything.

I am certainly no expert but it sounds to me like there might be an issues with the pots because you say they work fine until you have them at max. I would doubt that would be from the wiring in a passive or active system. When you change the pup wiring around, are you changing both at the same time or one at a time? I would try that if you didn't. How do you know the pots are OK?

I am probably asking the obvious but when it's plugged in did you try moving the wires to see if there is a connection issue?

• Members

No connection issues, no dropping out when moving wires around, changing one pickup wiring at a time, currently pickups are wired so that when both pots are up full it is hum canceling (which is where I would want it). I tried wiring this bass once before and couldn't get it right with the same sort of problems, I am using different pots to last time.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe, contrary to advertising I may have linear not logarithmic pots. Each time I have gotten the pots from the same place and the label says logarithmic.

• Members

I think those are the same.

Audio taper = logarithmic = not linear.

They are the same.

Logarithmic = generic term for the type of pot.

Audio Taper = what people who do audio call them as they apply to their own field.

Archived