When to see my ENT doctor about my hoarseness? Who has some good advice to heal me?

• Members

Well I'm a damaged singer at the moment and I'm a bit worried. Last Monday (6 days ago) during rehearsal we had a "garage night" where we had too many beers, turned up the volume and subsequently I sang over the volume and woke up the next day with bad hoarseness in my voice. DUMB DUMB DUMB

Well it's still not better and with a 3 nights in-a-row gig coming up June 4th, 5th & 6th I'm rather worried. I've got 2 weeks to recover from a STUPID act on my part.:facepalm:

Looking at the below symptoms I have 6 of them with decreased range being my most bothersome.

~ ~ ~ ~

What are signs and symptoms of vocal cord nodules or polyps?

Nodules and polyps cause similar symptoms:

hoarseness

breathiness

a "rough" voice

a "scratchy" voice

harshness

shooting pain from ear to ear

a "lump in the throat" sensation

neck pain

decreased pitch range

voice and body fatigue

~ ~ ~ ~

We've already switched me to headpones at practice and I probably shouldn't even be practicing however we need to solidify our new set(s) with our new bassist quickly.

WHO has some GREAT advice I can use to get back my Lexus voice which I took mud-boggin' last week!

BVT

• Members

The chances of your having nodules or polyps are extremely low. They take months of very bad singing techniques to develop. You've probably done something similar to spraining your ankle...a temporary swelling reaction to a one-time occurrence. So what do you do when you sprain an ankle? You stop walking on it for a while so it can heal itself. A week should be plenty of time for the cords to heal themselves IF YOU TOTALLY STOP SINGING FOR THAT WEEK. Give it a week and you'll have more than enough time to solidify your sets. There has to be a way to teach the new bassist without your singing. Keep on singing at rehearsals and you will lengthen the recovery time, perhaps to where you can't even do the show. Also, understand that the same vocal cords that sing for you also talk for you. Cut back on all but essential talking. Treat yourself like you have laryngitis. Results should occur very quickly, but don't rush them just because things are starting to get better.

Al

• Members

You've probably done something similar to spraining your ankle...a temporary swelling reaction to a one-time occurrence.

A week should be plenty of time for the cords to heal themselves IF YOU TOTALLY STOP SINGING FOR THAT WEEK.

Keep on singing at rehearsals and you will lengthen the recovery time, perhaps to where you can't even do the show. Also, understand that the same vocal cords that sing for you also talk for you. Cut back on all but essential talking. Treat yourself like you have laryngitis. Results should occur very quickly, but don't rush them just because things are starting to get better.

Al

Al great advice which I need to follow exactly. I'll figure out a way at practice to work with the guys yet not sing.

I'm also going to run my humidifier in my room at night.

Archived