Car Audio?

mlwarriner

• Members

I'm looking to upgrade the system in my car ('95 Subaru Legacy Wagon - don't laugh, it gets good mileage...) and am looking for suggestions that won't break the bank.

I'm probably going to just replace what's there, without much adding on. No boxes, no amps, etc. I just want a decent head unit (CD or cassette) with a front-mounted input for my iPod, a pair of 6.5 inch round speakers and a pair of 5.5 inch rounds. not looking for a "component system" - just decent bang for the buck two- or three-ways.

Brands to avoid? Brands to seek out?

• Members

Go with a solid brand that you've heard of for years and you cannot go wrong.

To be specific: Pioneer, Sony, JVC, Alpine, Kenwood, Clarion, etc.

I have a cheap Pioneer head and Pioneer speakers in my truck and I am quite happy. Although, I spent about $120 at Parts Express and got a nice 10" MTX sub, box and amp.

• Members

pioneer has always been the best.....

killer stuff

As much as I hate to say it, go to your local Best Buy, and get what's on sale. Let them do the install too. It's usually cheaper, and faster than any of the other alternatives....

• Members

pioneer has always been the best.....

killer stuff

+1.

I got a Pioneer Deck and set of 4 Pioneer speakers for my 92 Explorer in high school. They still rock so much, When I got my dad's old 99 Explorer, the whole setup came with me. Still running great almost 9 years later! :thu:

• Members

As much as I hate to say it, go to your local Best Buy, and get what's on sale. Let them do the install too. It's usually cheaper, and faster than any of the other alternatives....

if the install isn't free, i'll do it myself. i've done several car installs in the last 18 years, i'm pretty comfy with doing it on my own.

• Members

if the install isn't free, i'll do it myself. i've done several car installs in the last 18 years, i'm pretty comfy with doing it on my own.

If you buy a head unit over $120, it usually is free, but if you gots mad install skillz, have at it!

• Members

If you buy a head unit over $120, it usually is free, but if you gots mad install skillz, have at it!

one of the things i used to love about crutchfield was that if you bought a head unit from them, it included the adapter harness.

now that {censored}'s $15 or more extra.

:mad:

i'll go to walmart. :(

• Members

I've got a Sony in my van. It's got a USB input. It's the bomb. I just stick in a 2GB stick and roll.

that's another option. i've got a couple of 1G sticks lying around, but then i've also got my ipod that isn't getting much love these days...

• Members

I've got a Sony in my van. It's got a USB input. It's the bomb. I just stick in a 2GB stick and roll.

Funny that you say that, since Sony's car audio is called "Xplod".

Seriously.....who greenlit that? (Only one questionmark, since Incubitabus complained)

• Members

USB jack on a car deck is cooler than the coolest thing ever. :thu:

I've had good luck with Pioneer tuners. Seems to cost a bit more to get USB on a Pioneer though.

I had an Alpine with a lousy tuner.

That's all I know.

• Members

I didn't complain. I'm just trying to help.
:(

Dood..... I'm just messin witcha!

Although, you should know by now that I frequently do things because they will get on someone's nerves!

But back to the subject..... do they still make Concord? They were the best car stereos I ever heard once, back in the stone age.

Archived