Help! Peavey Axcellerator Issues.

bjorn-fjord

• Members

I am an acoustic guy. I build and repair acoustic guitars and I do my best to stay away from electic instruments because I know very little about electronics.

So anyway, a band-mate of a great customer is in dire need of some repairs to his Peavey Axcellerator fretless bass. He has a recording session coming up next week and his instrument has developed an irritating non-electronic buzz. I traced the buzz to a faulty volume control pot. It seems that the post is rattling inside the actual pot itself, I guess due to wear over years of use. No big deal right, just replace the pot?

Here's the problem, the pot is a type I've never seen before and I'm having trouble identifying it. First of all, it has no markings identifying the impedence. Secondly, the post is the smooth type without the usual grooves. The knob attaches with a set screw. BTW, the instrument has active pickups.

So does anyone know what type of pot this is or how I can identify it?

Thanks.

• Moderators

You grab your trusty multimeter and measure the resistance between the outer legs. That's the value. Then you set the wiper to the midpoint and measure from one outer leg to the wiper (middle leg). If the value is half the total, the pot is linear. If the value is 10%/90% or 30%/70%, then the pot is an audio taper.

• Members

You grab your trusty multimeter and measure the resistance between the outer legs. That's the value. Then you set the wiper to the midpoint and measure from one outer leg to the wiper (middle leg). If the value is half the total, the pot is linear. If the value is 10%/90% or 30%/70%, then the pot is an audio taper.

Agreed 100%...

- georgestrings

Archived