Home theaters n'stuff.

Psilocybin

• Members

My parents are moving into a new house. The new place already has speaker wire ran through the walls, coming out at the 4 corners of the ceiling. My dad plans on getting a tv to hang on the wall and a home theater/dvd(or do all the cool kids use blue ray these days?) for that room.

While he can afford some pretty nice {censored}, he is a cheap bastard. That and the fact that he would mainly be paying a lot for a home theater so OTHER people could enjoy it to its fullest potential (he is deaf in one ear).

What would you suggest for tv, dvd, and surround sound home theater? I'd be interrested in what mainstream brands are safe bets to buy and where I could check prices online.

There are local places he can, and might, go to but I'm worried they might charge an unreasonable price.

• Members

I install HT systems for a living.

The corners are not always where you want a speaker located. Thats the problem with contractors doing prewires in a house instead of an installer.

Either way, if he is going to get run of the mill stuff, I like Samsung, Klipsch, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha and LG stuff. That should get you started.

BluRay is the real deal 1080p source, so its great but the movies still cost alot and the players run like {censored} sometimes with their firmware. A good upconvert player is a great alternative.

Archived