08 Standard Jazz with taper wound E . . .

Patrick B.

• Members

I never realy paid much attention to the fact that my 08 Am. St. Jazz bass had a taper wound E string. I noticed there is only one set of string gauge from Fender with a taper wound e. Also noticed the new high mass bridge has small slots that almost don't fit the "A" string, let alone a "E" 110 withouth the taper wound.

Is the taper string used so it fits the bridge saddle slot? Or rather a better "thru body" string?

AM I stuck using a taper wound for the "E" saddle because of the small slot?

• Members

I switched to a lighter gauge with "A" @ 80 and "E" @ 100 (without taper wound)

The 100 does not fit in the pocket of the groove but is suspended as if on rails.

Thru the body or on top would be the same.

I don't seem to hear anything bad about the tone . . . just wonder if this is why Fender choose the tapered "E" . . . .

• Members

AFAIK, the strings are loaded though the body or through the bridge and, whether or not the string is tapered, the full gauge has to fit. You shouldn't have any problems with typical gauge strings.

Does your bass have the new high mass vintage bridge like mine ?

• Members

whether or not the string is tapered, the full gauge has to fit. You shouldn't have any problems with typical gauge strings.

If you don't have one, how do say that it has to fit?

I'm telling you an untapered "E" doesn't fit, but sits like its on rails, not in the groove ?

:confused:

• Moderators

I'm telling you an untapered "E" doesn't fit, but sits like its on rails, not in the groove ?

:confused:

You can use a tapered string, replace the bridge saddle with one having a wider groove, rework the bridge saddle to have a wider groove, use an untapered string and lower the saddle height...

It is silly that Fender went through the effort to improve the bridge design and made this design cjoice, but it is what it is, and that's not a big deal. :)

Archived