bassist in nashville......

geddyentwistle

• Members

so i'm a rock guitarist/bassist that moved to nashville about 2.5 years ago for my day job, but thought it would be great to be in a town with zillions of musicians...

WRONG

this place is psycho...

it the singers vs the musicians, then the musicians vs the musicians

everyone who thinks they can sing calls themself an "artist"... they love original music, but only their own, and 99% of the originals sound like something you've already heard

then there are millions of good guitarist who feel they need to prove they are excellent as all the "artist" they play with..too many solos, and this is coming from someone who likes solos... and too loud all the time

drummers everywhere looking for band where the people get along

and then come bassist..... needed by everyone but generally treated like" "your only the bassist, so shut up and play this part this way"...so the bassist attitude is "if i'm gonna be your bitch, fine, pay me for practice and drive time"

the backdrop is that everyone is artificially nice and back stabbing...

as everyone is constantly trying to one-up whatever situation they are in...

the recording industry sits back and watches super talent go to waste

but at least i got to shake hands with glen tillbrook and reeevs gabrels

• Members

I experienced the same thing in LA. You couldn't find a band that wasn't ready to sign a record contract and step on your neck in the process. You think it's going to be people that love music, but in reality it's people who want money and blowjobs everynight and don't give two {censored}s about the music or creative expression.

Sorry man!

Dan

• Members

I know a few musicians who have moved to Nashville. All but one have moved back here within 3 years telling the same exact story that you've just told. A drummer who I was speaking with a few weeks back said that, the more he got to know the lifestyle of those who had made it in Nashville, the less he wanted to be a musician out there.

• Members

Every Sunday afternoon our Irish punk band gets together and play Irish traditional music, drink beer, and eat a big Sunday dinner. It really is a great stress-reliever and it helps restore your faith in the music.

I play my upright, but you are welcome to play it and I'll strum an acoustic guitar.

PM me if you want an invite.

Archived