Hmm... which cabinet to choose?

Mytola

• Members

Looks like I'll afford a decent rig pretty soon-ish, but I'm really debating what kind of cabs I would like to have. I'm pretty set on the amp, that'll be a Genz Benz shuttle 6.0

I've heard a lot of good things about Avatar, and I was thinking of perhaps trying out the 2x12" and the 2x10" cabs, in 8 ohm versions so that I can hook them both up to the Shuttle 6.0. Problem with Avatar cabs is that they'll cost a lot to ship over from the US, but then again, the total cost would end up quite low compared to the stuff I can get from Europe. Buying a cab locally is pretty much out of the question, as it is FAR too expensive here, and I don't really have too much to chose from. So it'll end up being something I'll buy before trying it.

The Avatar cabs would end up costing about $600 for the 2x10" and $820 for the 2x12, with shipping and VAT included. I'll throw in a few prices of other cabs though, so you can see what else I can get for the money, and to give you a decent picture of the price levels over here:

Markbass 2x10" Neo: $950

EBS 2x10" Neo: $1500

Peavey 210 TVX : $370

Mesa Powerhouse 2X10": $1160

Ashdown ABM 210 compact: $830

EBS 2x12" Neo: $1700

GK 2x12" Neo: $1050

Aguilar GS212/4: $1380

Glockenklang 2x12": $1520

Mesa Powerhouse 2x12": $1570

Eden 212XLT: $1500

As for music style, I really want something versatile. I enjoy playing a lot of different music, and I'm not really sure where I'll go in the future as far as music style goes. I'm going to have a Pod X3 Live in front of the amp, and I want a pair of very clean sounding cabs. I think I'm pretty set on the 2x10"+2x12" combination, btw.

So, based on these prices, what would you go for? If you want a price-check on any other cabs, just let me know and I'll add them. :)

• Members

Those are all nice cabs. Grab your bass and take a day or two trying them all out. Buy the one(or pair) that inspires you most.
:thu:

I wouldn't waste my time with the Avatars when you have those to try in person.

Maybe I wasn't clear about this, but I have NO cabs at all available to try in person. The only stuff which is available over here is Behringer and Ampeg, really. Both of which are completely out of the question.

• Members

Just a thought to consider; you mentioned that you were using an X3 in front of the whole setup. Out of curiosity, how clean sounding is the GB Shuttle? I've never been in a place to try any GB stuff, but from what I gather here, they have their own sound. That may or may not have a bigger impact on your overall tone than the cabs.

• Members

Maybe I wasn't clear about this, but I have NO cabs at all available to try in person. The only stuff which is available over here is Behringer and Ampeg, really. Both of which are completely out of the question.

You listed Glok. Based on your description, I would buy a Glock 1x12 and add a 2nd as you earned $$ gigging with it. I played one in Baton Rouge and it was a glorious thing. Avatar is quite Wonderbread by comparison.

Glock is Panera. :D

• Members

You listed Glok. Based on your description, I would buy a Glock 1x12 and add a 2nd as you earned $$ gigging with it. I played one in Baton Rouge and it was a glorious thing. Avatar is quite Wonderbread by comparison.

Glock is Panera.
:D

Two Glockenklang 1x12"s would probably work, yeah. Would it be enough with a total of 2x12" for most bigger venues as well do you think? I think it might, I'll go through the PA as well anyway, so It'll be for monitoring purposes, really. I could get a 2x12" AND a 2x10", both from Glockenklang too... Buy one cab at a time, ofc.

Seems like Glockenklang actually is priced quite well over here, compared to a lot of other stuff. They're German, after all, so.

• Members

In my book, a pair of twelves should push just enough air for you and your bandmates(stage sound)...if not, your too damn loud. Stay HIP.

Hearing

Is

Precious

Otherwise, doesn't Glock make a 2x10? You could run one of those as your 2nd cab when the $$ become available, and push more air with it.

• Moderators

I want a pair of very clean sounding cabs. I think I'm pretty set on the 2x10"+2x12" combination, btw.

Don't be. Mixing cabs is a perfect recipie for the opposite effect. Pick a cabinet you like and get multiples of it. You will avoid unwanted peakiness in response and you will avoid situations in which one cab is at its limits and the other is not.

• Members

Don't be. Mixing cabs is a perfect recipie for the opposite effect. Pick a cabinet you like and get multiples of it. You will avoid unwanted peakiness in response and you will avoid situations in which one cab is at its limits and the other is not.

Hadn't thought about that, really. I was thinking you could get the best of both worlds if you combine them. Well, I'll start with a 2x12" anyway, and see how it works from there. :)

• Members

+11.

Main reasons I got rid of my Mesa 210+212 setup and my 410XLT.

I like my 212XLT the best, and when I need mas noise, I'll just get another.

Archived