What nickel plated roundwounds ...

seraphim7s

• Members

... sound most like steels?

I want those aggresively grinding high mids, but without the harsh feel of steels. In fact, I love the feel of really smooth roundwounds, like D'Addario - but they sound a bit too 'modern'.

Oh, and I don't like slack feeling strings ie those without enough tension.

• Members

I would suggest Sadowsky Blue Nickel rounds, with this one warning. Big Round warm modern basses like MTD's, and Foderas have a tough time getting this sound no matter what the strings. Also "full range" flat sounding cabs or heads have the same problem. You need a J pickup configuration (the bridge pickup is key) and a mid punchy amp. Their are different flavors of this sound but Ash Maple J basses with amps like the Thunderfunk, Little Mark II, Eden WT series seem to do it best.:thu:

• Members

Never been much of a J-bass man - check out my sig! Always found them to be a bit nasal, and not aggressive enough (unlike a P-bass with the tone controls wide open).

I honestly don't think I've ever seen Sadowsky strings available in the UK ... erm, I have seen Dean Markley Blue Steels, tho!

• Members

A J with the right pickups and pre turns that nasal-ness into a real low mid range punch tone monster. As far as growl, back off the front pick-up a bit you will have growl for days. Thats why guys like Jason Newsted use them. Your right about one thing, their is an unmistakable thump that only a P can give you. I play in a rotation with guys who could only any bass in the world and most of us have ended up with some Jazz Variant, either Avello Coppola, Celender or Sadowsky. In-between us we've all had Fodera's, MTD's, Roscoes, and Ken Smiths but we keep coming back to Super J's. We do a wide variety of rock-pop stuff and need versatility. But their is something way cool about an older P, I played a 74 last week that ripped, great old school vibe.

As far as the strings you can order them here, but he does have dealers in the UK

http://www.sadowsky.com/

• Members

Not really that keen on Newsteads tone (when you can hear it) but I know what you mean. My favourite J-bass tone is actually from a very modest, 'in the pocket' type guy - the bassist from the Strokes, Nikolai Fraiture.

I found I could get a good approximation by lowering the neck pup, full on the bridge, and playing with a plec by the bridge, and then turning the tone control all the way down, whilst not pushing the amp too hard (otherwise it gets 'fuzzy' rather than cutting).

• Members

What's the diff between the Sadowsky blue and black labels, pray tell?

I believe that, generally, in an A/B comparison, the Blues had richer mids. Some even claimed they couldn't tell the difference on TalkBass (there was a long thread when they were first being introduced, might be worth looking into). Roger said he's not using descriptions so that each person can listen with their ears and not with what they've read.

Archived