Damage from Tropical Storm Fay

zenfleshzenbone

• Members
Pfft, if you call those ships.

(I'm just being funny here.... like making fun of politcal thread semantics) :D

oh yeah? Well...

SHIP - 1 a: a large seagoing vessel b: a sailing vessel having a bowsprit and usually three masts each composed of a lower mast, a topmast, and a topgallant mast

So take that...

• Members
If a vessel can be transported by another seagoing vessel, then it is a boat, not a ship.

Therefore, anything smaller than the USS Cole is a boat.

USS_Cole07.jpg

The USS Cole is just over 504' LOA, so you you really have an odd view of ship size... :p

• Members

The USS Cole is just over 504' LOA, so you you really have an odd view of ship size...
:p

Hey, I don't make the rules. I once called the USS Mississippi a boat and some Boatswain's Mate Master Chief just about slapped me. I asked him to define the line that separates a boat and a ship and he gave me the definition listed above.

I'm just busting on the Coasties and their sissy little boats.

• Members
Hey, I don't make the rules. I once called the USS Mississippi a boat and some Boatswain's Mate Master Chief just about slapped me. I asked him to define the line that separates a boat and a ship and he gave me the definition listed above.

I know. I worked at my last job with a guy that was on the USS Miday during Vietnam. He constatly ragged on the shallow water sailors...

His favorite:
Q "Why do you have to be at least 6 feet tall to be in the Coast Guard?"
A "So you can wade to shore if the boat sinks..." :badump:

• Members

He was wrong.

Yup, definitely sissy:
COAST_GUARD_CAPSIZE_MORRO_BAY_122007_SW_

Proof that size doesn't matter, it's what you do with it.

And yeah there's a mast in there somewhere...that's a Coast Guard 47' and there's a crew that willingly do this to save lives.

Dan

• Members

That guy also told me about how easy it is to get Coasties worked up, I guess he got that part right.

I'd love to see a group of brave coasties take one of their cute little boats through a hurricane passing through the North Wall. We were willing to do that to get back to port two days early to save the beer companies whose sales were suffering due to our absence.

• Members

That guy also told me about how easy it is to get Coasties worked up, I guess he got that part right.

I'm not worked up. Those who can't do, train. Navy does lots of training:D and as a good Coastie, I can't sit by and leave your chops unbusted:cop:

I'd love to see a group of brave coasties take one of their cute little boats through a hurricane passing through the North Wall. We were willing to do that to get back to port two days early to save the beer companies whose sales were suffering due to our absence.

Coast Guard's motto is "Work smarter not harder", your CO was an idiot. Of course I've passed through hurricanes, the only difference was that we went with the rotation on the backside of the hurricane to limit stress on the crew. Things always seem to go smoother when you have natural forces working with you..dunno why that is:confused:

Dan

• Members

Yeah, the CO was an idiot. Never mind the fact that navy ships do {censored} like that all of the time. Why? Because they can. They don't need the assistance of nature to get through the hurricane, they haul ass right into nature and kick its ass.

The navy motto is "Work hard, play hard." That work smarter crap is simply justification for candy ass hardware.

• Members

Yeah, the CO was an idiot. Never mind the fact that navy ships do {censored} like that all of the time. Why? Because they can. They don't need the assistance of nature to get through the hurricane, they haul ass right into nature and kick its ass.

The navy motto is "Work hard, play hard." That work smarter crap is simply justification for candy ass hardware.

You keep telling yourself that. Doing something just because you can doesn't make sense. Going the wrong way through a hurricane just doesn't make sense. It's not about needing assistance my friend. You make better headway going with the hurricane, you limit stress on the crew, and you limit risk of damage to the ship; you must be right though, I don't know why anyone would want to use their brain when navigation millions of dollars of taxpayer money on the high seas:facepalm:

Dan

• Members

You say stupid, the captain saw a training opportunity. Forcing the crew and the ship to do things out of the ordinary is quite reasonable since there's never a guarantee that the ship will be called into action when the waters are calm.

I guess the Coasties don't put their boats into heavy surf or drop SAR swimmers out of helicopters just for training purposes.

It's a matter of scale. When you're on a 600 foot ship with 350 MW of delicious nuclear power, plowing through a hurricane is similar to a 50 foot CG boat playing at the beach.

• Members
You say stupid, the captain saw a training opportunity. Forcing the crew and the ship to do things out of the ordinary is quite reasonable since there's never a guarantee that the ship will be called into action when the waters are calm.

Was this the captian?

1269.jpg

• Members

I guess the Coasties don't put their boats into heavy surf or drop SAR swimmers out of helicopters just for training purposes.

It's a matter of scale. When you're on a 600 foot ship with 350 MW of delicious nuclear power, plowing through a hurricane is similar to a 50 foot CG boat playing at the beach.

You seem to contradict yourself though; if it's a day at the beach, then one could assume that it isn't really a training opportunity, just another "We will because we can" meat head thought process?:cop:

It doesn't really matter though as just about every CG Cutter is older than anything the Navy has so we naturally have to operate differently I suppose (A good thing methinks:D).

Another CG motto "Do more with less". Such is the way of the world...but we always have the Navy wives to comfort us when we feel sad about our small outdated "boats":p

Dan

Archived