OT: Good instructions for roof repair?

thelurker

• Members

Get a ladder and climb on the roof. Carefully lift up the shingles above the damage ones and you can see how to replace them. You will need a box cutter and some roofing nails, and maybe tar-type material if you like, but it really isn't that difficult if you simply look at the patterns. You can see where and which shingles to remove and how to put new ones back in. The hardest part is NOT splitting the shingles above that will cover the new ones.

• Members

Thanks for the advice!

I wish I could call a roofer, but there are several roofs within sight of my house that are WAAAY worse than mine. I'm afraid I'll either a) have to wait for weeks while bigger jobs get done or b) get the guy that nobody wants doing their big roof job.:facepalm:

• Members

Thanks for the advice!

I wish I could call a roofer, but there are several roofs within sight of my house that are WAAAY worse than mine. I'm afraid I'll either a) have to wait for weeks while bigger jobs get done or b) get the guy that nobody wants doing their big roof job.
:facepalm:

If you just have a few missing, I bet you could go talk to one of the roofers doing the houses around you and get them to do it while they are there.

otherwise, the info above is how it is done.

• Members

Seriously, get up there and piddle around with the damaged ones. They are already damaged, right? So you aren't going to damage them any worse. Just study the patterns for a few seconds and the whole thing makes perfect sense. I honestly think that you can do it yourself, once you look closely and study how they are placed. I watched a roofer once, and I have replaced two roofs and placed a new one on my two-story shop. It's not that difficult.

Archived