Tubes - I get to tinker

knuckle_head

• Members

It was recently suggested I consider devoting a single cab per amp - creating in essence a dual combo - I'm intrigued by this.

The amps are 70 to 75 watts each. I took a look at the Acme B1s but even they want 200 watts or so.

Am I looking at having to build cabs to accommodate such low wattage?

:confused:

• Moderators
It was recently suggested I consider devoting a single cab per amp - creating in essence a dual combo - I'm intrigued by this.

The amps are 70 to 75 watts each. I took a look at the Acme B1s but even they want 200 watts or so.

Am I looking at having to build cabs to accommodate such low wattage?

:confused:

You don't want small inefficient cabinets. You want large efficient ones. 70 watts into a 1x10 is quiet. 70 watts into an 8x10 is not. I run a similar sized amp into an efficient 1x15+1x6 and it is loud enough to gig, but not loud enough to kill small animals.

• Members

You don't want small inefficient cabinets. You want large efficient ones. 70 watts into a 1x10 is quiet. 70 watts into an 8x10 is not. I run a similar sized amp into an efficient 1x15+1x6 and it is loud enough to gig, but not loud enough to kill small animals.

Please tell me I don't need a fridge....

I've been eyeing a 2x10 deep coax Bag End and considering a B2 Acme - think there's enough juice in the amp to push 'em?

• Moderators

Please tell me I don't need a fridge....

I've been eyeing a 2x10 deep coax Bag End and considering a B2 Acme - think there's enough juice in the amp to push 'em?

For bedroom levels, the B2 will be fine. For rehearsal/gig levels, no chance. 70 watts is not enough. It'd be fart city on the low end. You need to take advantage of the Kappalites (I know you've seen the new 12" drivers) and make a smallish box that has good output.

• Members

For bedroom levels, the B2 will be fine. For rehearsal/gig levels, no chance. 70 watts is not enough. It'd be fart city on the low end. You need to take advantage of the Kappalites (I know you've seen the new 12" drivers) and make a smallish box that has good output.

That's where my head went. I envisioned a pair of appropriately sized/tuned 3012s. They won't sizzle much though.

At loudest the cabs would have to compete with a pair of JBL 100s.

Edit; My thought with the B2 (or Bag End if I could fig'er it out) was to drive each 10 with one of the tube amps.

Archived