Aguilar GS112 Neo conversion: first impressions.

philthygeezer

• Members

I had one the drivers replaced with an Eminence Deltalite II 2512 in a pair of GS112s and just compared them a few minutes ago.

First impressions with a Fender Hot Rodded P bass, P pickup only, at low volume since it's later in the evening (both tweeters OFF ie minimum):

The factory driver is sweet, smooth and creamy warm, and sounds great!

The neodymium driver is more present, a bit 'ringier'. Like a thin wool blanket was taken off the speaker. Definitely more 'there' with mids. I can't say whether it's louder or not yet. A hair less perceived thump and a fair bit more grind. Rolling off the tone knob a bit gets you closer to the factory speaker sound, but different in a way because the volume seems to weaken a bit too.

So far, all I can say is that there is a significant difference in sound between the two drivers.

Weight-wise, the seven pounds difference is nice. The cab is easier to lug around without feeling like dead weight.

I'll keep them different for awhile and noodle to some songs to see how they behave. Also will compare the Neo sound with the Schroeder 1210. to see if it sounds more similar.

Caveat: I'm a bedroom noodler with a gear fetish. I'm describing what I hear and my impressions will likely evolve the more I practice with them. YMMV.

Inspired by this thread and this thread. Easier to do easily reversible mods on cabs I already like than to flip them, pay for new ones including shipping, duties, taxes etc on heavier weights and larger sums of $$...

• Members

Good review, thanks!! I Found my Avatar with the Neos needed a good hour of gig level play time to break in. Once they did, the lows bloomed and the mids smoothed out. Of course, this was a 410, so YMMV, but I'm interested to see if you have a similar experience.

Archived