playing on a hollow stage

mdd30

• Members

I'm playing on a hollow stage tonight...any ideas what I can put under my amp to reduce any boominess? I don't have one of those isolation deals, I'm just trying to figure out something to use. Milk crates?

edit: sorry, I meant cab, obviously....4x10 cab

• Members

I'm playing on a hollow stage tonight...any ideas what I can put under my amp to reduce any boominess? I don't have one of those isolation deals, I'm just trying to figure out something to use. Milk crates?

edit: sorry, I meant cab, obviously....4x10 cab

That's one of the reasons why I like having castors on my 410TVX - I never have a problem getting enough lows out of it, but they have helped keep rumble under control on certain stages that are hollow - besides making the moving of a 100lb cab MUCH easier...

In your situation, anything that'll get it up off the ground will probably help...

- georgestrings

• Members

anything that will put some space between your amp and the stage if a milk crate will hold the weight of you amp that will work, but put some towels or something that will absorb sound in the milk crates too. the rubber mat will work as long as it is several layers thick folded on its self twice would probably do the trick.

• Members

If all else fails, put it on the floor beside the stage if you have to.

+1

We hane a couple of smaller-bar gigs where my rig is on the stage and my upright (and me) are on the floor.

I like the "personal connection" with the crowd, and there is this cool rockabilly-chick bartender at one bar who keeps me "beered-up":thu:

• Members

Thanks guys. I ended up using milk crates...worked better than nothing. I'm gonna grab a couple of those rubber mat type things that they sell in sections for the future. This was kind of a last minute thought, and didn't have time to really buy anything. I had casters on it, but the mount inside the cab broke on one of them, so I just do without. The casters were junk anyway, the bearings fell out once I took them out.

• Members

Thanks guys. I ended up using milk crates...worked better than nothing. I'm gonna grab a couple of those rubber mat type things that they sell in sections for the future. This was kind of a last minute thought, and didn't have time to really buy anything. I had casters on it, but the mount inside the cab broke on one of them, so I just do without. The casters were junk anyway, the bearings fell out once I took them out.

For about $30 you can purchase new pop-out casters and replace the stock ones.

• Members

For about $30 you can purchase new pop-out casters and replace the stock ones.

Well, it was the mount inside the cab that broke, so I'd have to take the cab apart some, and I just don't wanna do that. Not that I can't, I just would rather not. Also, there's times when I really don't wanna play on it with the wheels. I've had two sets of wheels for it (long story), and they both were like that. I could just screw some wheels on, but like I say, there are plenty of times that I do wanna set it directly on the floor.

• Members

Yep, I recommend new casters as well for the long-haul.

My Berg only has tilt-backs, but we haven't had an issue with it yet. It's pretty well insulated (?), so not much boom even on hollow stages.

I'll probably get a Great Gramma soon. They really are useful.

• Members

Since you mentioned your casters were shot, I'll drop this in here for y'all.

First of all, the pre-carnage battlefield of parts and tools. Forgot to show the oak dowel I bought for plugging the post holes. Sue me.

casterupgrade01ko6.jpg

Here you see the caster, the baseplate, and a background of whoopteedoo, stop paying attention to the man behind the curtain! You can see how the caster would look if you just mounted it straight to the cabinet, as opposed to using the removable baseplate. Not a lot of height difference. It accounts for MAAAYBE 3/8" once the caster's snapped in place. Oh, that'll really kill your tone, man!!!

casterupgrade02ej3.jpg

The baseplate, the witness marks of the caster plug cup, and the plastic corner.

casterupgrade03to7.jpg

Here's how I'm mounting my baseplates. Tight up against the plastic corner, sorta-kinda set away from the front and back edges just so it's not such an eyesore or would scrape your foot if you kicked it or if Stormtroopers were scouting the venue you're playing and spotted the shiny zinc plating of that edge and reported you to Lord Vader.

Used the wooden dowel, 5/8" diameter, cut about 3/4" long, and another dowel already hammered into place.

Here's the screws I bought. Wood screws, flathead screwdriver, rounded over, VERY aggressive screw threads that really bite into the wood. I'm sure if I looked harder, I coulda found screws this good with Phillips heads or something better. But these work. Shu'up. You can see that I already predrilled some holes and started a few into the first baseplate. ALSO NOTE that I aligned the baseplate with the retaining spring inwards, cuz there was a close tolerance between the base of the caster sliding into the baseplate, and the top of the plastic corners' ridges. So I have it set so I unclip all the casters inwards towards the center of the cabinet's bottom.

casterupgrade07fx7.jpg

Here we go, popping the first caster in place, and how it fits...

casterupgrade08ye5.jpg

And a close-up for you skeptics, of how this retaining spring actually holds the caster in place.

casterupgrade10sa5.jpgcasterupgrade11wj0.jpgcasterupgrade12kq5.jpg

And finally, everything assembled! Quit looking at the dusty fingerprints inside my ports. You're supposed to notice the unpainted dowel rods, damnit.

casterupgrade13sv1.jpgcasterupgrade14nw3.jpg

Remember, when you're selecting removable caster bases, make sure to note the size of the compatible caster plate. There are industry standards for those dimensions and hole patterns, so get the right matches when selecting which caster you want.

I got these polyolefin non-marking casters DIRT CHEAP on clearance for $2.49 each from www.GreatLakesCaster.com , the baseplates were $5.00 each from www.reliablehardware.com , and the screws and oak dowel from Home Depot for around $5.00. That's a $35 upgrade, before shipping costs.

They've been on ym cab since last October. They've never been taken off, not even in the studio. Only drawback, is the phenolic resin wheels are LOUD when rolling over the pavement. On the carpeted stage, peachy keen. Hardwood floors, eh, not too bad. But if you find some casters on sale with the urethane wheel tread, DO IT. It's soooo worth the quieter ride. Harbor Freight frequently has suitable casters on sale.

• Members

I didn't know there was such a thing.
:idea:

Neither did I, that's a damn good idea. But, if you do end up taking the casters off, wouldn't setting it on the floor or whatever bend the brackets/scratch the floor?

Archived