equipment advice

mdd30

• Members

Hey, all...I have a friend who's just getting into playing bass, and has a pretty crappy rig, and I've been checkin' around for used stuff for him. What he has right now is a Behringer 115 cab, and Behringer 4500 head. His bass isn't bad, it's a Peavey Grind. He's extremely strapped for cash, in fact his guitar player had to buy him his current rig. The band they're in makes good money, and I'm trying to talk him into upgrading. I found a gk backline 250 head and 410 blx cab for $200...does that seem like a decent deal? I know he should save and good something a lot better, but I don't think he will. Any other suggestions?

• Members

its defenitly a step up from behringer.....but im not sure thats the best direction for him

how strapped for cash are we talking?

what kind of band?

like I'm guessin' a couple hundred bucks is about all he could do. I know it's kind of a step diagonally, it is better than what he has....I sat in with them and I think his cab's blown. They pretty much do hair rock, 2 guitars with Line 6 combo amps, electronic drums, and a crappy Carvin p.a. The Behringer barely kept up. I'd like to see him grab some used peavey stuff, just cuz it'd be a good bang for the buck, but haven't had much luck finding a cheap decent cab, which is what I'd replace first

• Members

Lacon IL...not too far from me.
:wave:
If he's bringing in halfway decent earnings from gigging, why not get a nice rig?
:idk:
If he's making the money you claim, there's no reason to be strapped for cash, and throwing his money away on crap.

You're right...but he's real stingy....lol. He's a beginner and is scared by how much good stuff costs

• Members

You're right...but he's real stingy....lol. He's a beginner and is scared by how much good stuff costs

So, he's willing to throw away his hard earned cash on crap...as opposed to saving a bit for something nice? :facepalm: A good head only costs a couple months of gigging earnings...same with a cab. The GK1001RB head, disputably the biggest bang for buck head out there, falls under this, as does the MarkBass LMII head. ...as do the cabs!

• Members

So, he's willing to throw away his hard earned cash on crap...as opposed to saving a bit for something nice?
:facepalm:
A good head only costs a couple months of gigging earnings...same with a cab. The GK1001RB head, disputably the biggest bang for buck head out there, falls under this, as does the MarkBass LMII head. ...as do the cabs!

i think he's saying he doesnt like the idea of spending $1000 on anything...despite spending $500 frequently :rolleyes:

Archived